Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Cutter/Grinder by harbor freight

Question Universal Cutter/Grinder by harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45707 that is the address for it . what do think of it ,and does it work and would you buy one Brett

The archives are your friend. This has been kicked into every corner of the shop numerous times.

Google that part number with site:http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

Google for tool cutter and grinder with the same site: specification.

Google for tinker, Clarkson, Stent, K O Lee, Bonnelle, Gorton, and the ubiquitous Quorn.

Did I forget anyone?

It's not a universal T&CG it's for single lip tools only. If you have to ask then you don't want one.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Hurt
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45707 that is the address for it . what do think of it ,and does it work and would you buy one Brett

Default Universal T&C grinder

I agree with Phil.

This is a universal tool and cutter grinder - surface grinder, T&C grinder as well as tool-post and cylindrical (internal and external) grinder.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=G198

does it work and would you buy one Brett
    The short, and not so sweet, answer is --- "NO" it would have very limited use in a home shop situation....
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

This general type of grinder has numerous uses. Drill bits, ends of end milling cutters, boring cutters, even lathe bits. Unlimited uses, very handy machines, easy to setup.

Basically almost anything that can be held in the collets included can be sharpened. Unfortunately, they don't say what style and sizes of collets are included. It would also be nice to know the wheel size and mount.

Deckel grinders that this one is copied from sell for big bucks on the used market. I've seen them for ten times this amount used.

Maybe the real question here is, is this machine any good quality-wise? Accuracy of the collet head, etc are important considerations with grinders of this type. Never having purchased anything at HF I don't know what to expect, but I haven't heard great things about their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur
    It's not a universal T&CG it's for single lip tools only. If you have to ask then you don't want one.

Phil
    Then it's safe to say that it doesn't have the ability, as sold, to sharpen the flutes on end mills and the like.

I sorta thought so 'cause it looked too simple.

Pete

It's not designed for flutes but I'm sure somebody will come up with a modification. It could be a handy tool grinder at that price. But first you should identify your needs and then check to see if it meets them, also check whether you can already do a lot of it on a bench grinder with an angled rest or a few attachments.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 10KPete
    Then it's safe to say that it doesn't have the ability, as sold, to sharpen the flutes on end mills and the like.

I sorta thought so 'cause it looked too simple.

Pete

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by philbur
    It's not designed for flutes but I'm sure somebody will come up with a modification. It could be a handy tool grinder at that price. But first you should identify your needs and then check to see if it meets them, also check whether you can already do a lot of it on a bench grinder with an angled rest or a few attachments.

Phil
    I agree...so why hasn't anyone come up with the modifications?

I would think with all the creative people on this site, someone would.

TMT

Two main limitations on this type of machine.

[1] The main operations are done with the work holding pivoting about the lower bar.
    Depending on all the various angles etc and the length of tooling you have no control on where the end of the tool meets the wheel. There is no hight adjustment so you can raise or lower the wheel so you are on or about centre. Sometime you can be touching the wheel 1 - 1/2" above centre on a 4" wheel.

[2] Harder to explain but when you are grinding the ends of end mills you are using the flat face of the wheel so approaching end on. These machines work with the tool pointing up they have 45 degrees of movement in this plate but only 15 degrees or so pointing down.

Pointing up means you are grinding the outer flute but having to use the inside of the wheel and the radius hit the unground teeth and stuffs it up. To use the outside of the wheel you have to point downwards and because of the angles the more you tilt the closer you get to the wheel Problem is the bed bar isn't long enough to move clear so you can only have about 3/4" of cutter showing.

Add to this as you tip down it fouls on all the locking levers,
    as i say very hard to explain with words.

To make this a useful machine it needs a longer bed bar and the wheel being separate so it can rise and fall to get into place.

It can be improved 100% by making one casting a mirror image of what it is now, this will increase the usable length and help with the fouling of the levers.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.