Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra-length Electrical Outlet Screws

Default Extra-length Electrical Outlet Screws

Anybody know offhand if extra-length screws are available for attaching outlets/switches to electrical outlet boxes?

I've tiled the kitchen and now, due to the added thickness of the tiles, the original screws are just a tad too short to engage the outlet boxes.

Amongst all my vast array of junk, I cannot seem to find any other suitable screws.

I'd just as soon not have to single point thread a whole bunch of itty bitty screws like that. ...nor is it likely that I have a die for that size thread.

You can buy 'em over here quite readily.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

I know I've picked them up in Homeys. They're in with the packaged nuts and bolts.

Andy

They are 6-NF/32 threads are the ones that go into the box at the top and bottom. And the ones in the plate covers. The other two most common sizes are 8-NF/32 and 10-NC/24 used in electrical work. That is the three sizes on my Gardner Bender rethreading tool. I buy the screws in what ever size I need and swap them out. They also have little plastic thingies that can hold the boxes out from the original mounting position.
    the big boxe stores have both in the electrical dept.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

winchman is correct, they come in diffrent depths too.

the problem with NOT using one is you either have the entire socket supported by the faceplate (ruins faceplate when you plug in a plug thats a tight fit) or the entire socket recessed so much behind the faceplate that larger plugs have no hope of ever connecting properly, and neither do any wallworts.
    (Or it could be supported by the tile.. but thats not exactly great either as it will try and pull the box outta the wall)

Quote Originally Posted by winchman
    The correct way to do that is to use a box extension:

[/url]

Well Drat! I specifically asked the guys at the flooring place if some sort of box extenders were available. And they said "no", that I should just leave an opening in the tiles to let the little ears of the receptacle rest against. That would've made life easier, but too late now. I made it work, but it entailed quite a bit of unnecessarily meticulous measuring and cutting.

The box entension or caterpillars and longer screws. Both are probably available Home Dee.

catepillars?

Box extensions plug longer 6-32 screws. The box extensions available from Lowes and Home depot that I tried for a project didn't come with long enough screws and I had to replace them with longer.