Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Horizontal Mill questions

Default Atlas Horizontal Mill questions

I'm hopeing someone here can help me with some information about the Atlas horizontal mills. I've got a guy in Berkeley California checking out one of these small mills for me that was listed for sale. I looked thru Tony's Lathes.co uk site. The one I'm looking at buying is a MFC model. Tony's site lists a MF-G model plus various others but nothing on the MFC model. Anybody know anything about this paticular model? Anybody still sell manuals? Other than slide wear Broken/missing parts is there anything else that needs to be checked on these machines before buying? I ran a search on this forum and thru Google and lot's comes up but so far really nothing about the MFC model.

Pete

Maybe someone misread the g as a c.

Drop me a PM if you don't get it. My Dad still lives in Berkeley

Toolguy,
    I thought of that too, But doing some Google searching Atlas did make a MFC model.

Pete

DP,
    Will do. If the deal falls thru I'll send you the sellers name and ph. no.

Pete

I found this MFC on eBay. The seller is very very optimistic in his price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-horizontal...-/370345100941

There are several versions of the mill with minor differences. The MFC has the Change-O-Matic table feed system but appears to lack the shroud/guard over the overarm and spindle as well as the support arm that attached to the knee feedscrew to provide additional rigidity. Neither of these is a major deal, but you might consider fabbing an overarm support if heavy cutting is intended.

There is not much different on this machines than other of the Atlas mills. The gear train in the table feed might be the one area to inspect closely to make sure there is no damage or undue wear. The rest of the machine is subject to the normal checks you would do with any mill for wear, backlash or slop in the various movements.
    Jim H.

JCHannum,
    Thanks for the info, Tony's site mentions some of them were built without belt guards depending on the model, If this mill looks allright I'll definately built a overarm support.

Pete

Dr Stan Guest

Default Atlas Yahoo Group

You may want to check out this Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Wit a support, it should do well. Most of those have back gears, which is required, since you can't spin the 4" cutters at 150 RPM, the way some of the small mills seem to have been made to.....

Not an Atlas, but an idea for a good solid overarm support... It grabs the crossfeed ways....

The cutter on in the picture above is wimpy, this is more like it (not clear on support form though).... but surprisingly easy on the machine.....I still prefer to run it with the support unless that is impossible due to part shape, as otherwise I take only shallow cuts....

Last edited by J Tiers; 04-05-2010 at 11:11 PM.

JCHannum, I'll say that seller is optimistic. Doubt he'll get that price but in today's world who knows? Maybe 20 yrs. from now we'll all think that was a good price.

DR Stan, Thanks for the direct link, I knew there was a Yahoo group but thought I'd have to go looking for it.

J Tiers, Now that is a pretty heathy cut on a machine of that size, Thanks for the pictures.

One thing I read today about Atlas mills that makes me a bit leery is the gears are supposed to be made of Zamac and are pretty soft, Supposedly their stock gear sizes tho.

Pete