Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red vs. Blue for 180 Mig

Default Red vs. Blue for 180 Mig

I am going to buy a small mig machine for welding light materials (12 ga-.125") CRS. The units look similar with the advantage going to Lincoln for wire feed geometry, and perhaps to Miller for wire feed/voltage.

It seems that the Lincoln is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper? This would pay for the tank (almost) or a helmet.

Am I missing something?

Chris

Chris, Personally I would buy Lincoln( I own 5 of them).Lincoln is Worldwide and has great service and parts. I don't think you will be disappointed.Jim
    JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

gnm109 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowbuilt
    I am going to buy a small mig machine for welding light materials (12 ga-.125") CRS. The units look similar with the advantage going to Lincoln for wire feed geometry, and perhaps to Miller for wire feed/voltage.

It seems that the Lincoln is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper? This would pay for the tank (almost) or a helmet.

Am I missing something?

Chris

If you get either of the two brands, make sure that you get the version that has variable power rather than a tapped feed. Those are commercial versions that either come from the LWS or online from places such as IOC. The Lincolns sold in Home Depot and Lowes are a lesser version. I don't think Miller sells in the big box stores. Both are similarly priced. You can check this on eBay.

In your price comparison of $200 less for the Lincoln, I suspect that you are comparing a Miller to a Big Box Lincoln.

I have the earlier Lincoln SP 175 Plus and it's been a wonderful machine. It has variable wire feed and variable power, no taps.

I know that one of the Lincoln 180 models has variable power. I believe that Miller does as well but I don't know the model suffix for either brand.

I'm not clear on your statement regarding Miller's advantage on wire feed/voltage. I've used both brands and they seem to work equally well.

Good luck.

Miller. The machines considerably better built than the lincoln machines. And they have good techs. Lincoln does the tiered tech system where it takes forever to find someone who knows anything and then they seems to just be reading from a book. The miller techs actually work on the equipment.

The SP series of Lincoln are the absolute worst to work on. Those models are only sold at big box stores now. Plus they are all made in mexico. All the weld shop carry the PowerMig series which is a whole new machine. Better but still not as good as a miller.

Both machines have a different V/A curve to them so they weld a little different. I recommend going to a weld shop and trying out both weld machines. Any decent shop should have a place for you to try them out. Some prefer the arc characteristics of the mill, some lincoln.

gnm109 Guest

Lincoln SP's? All you want on eBay.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=Linc...=SP&_kw=Welder

I have an SP-125 and an SP-135 and both have been rode hard and put away wet and keep coming back for more.
    I sell both Blue and Red and have welded with both and would recommend a PowerMig 180 over a MillerMatic 180.I found the PM to have a very nice arc.
    Have you considered a MillerMatic 211?
    Not much more money than the 180 but will weld 3/8 on 220 and still 110 capable.

Default Pulled the pin on a 211

The Millermatic 211 is in the shop, and it needs a cart. I would like to build the cart as a first welding project with the new welder. Does anyone have specs or drawings for a cart that will accomodate this welder and a tank? I like the idea of the welder angling up for ease of use of the controls.
    Chris

gnm109 Guest

I have a Miller Syncrowave 200 Runner. The term Runner means that it has a base with an axle with wheels. Most machines have a manual that decsribes the accessory cart.

My Miller Manual and my Lincoln SP175 Mig Manual both have diagrams for the carts. I think if you look at the manual for your machine, you will see the cart and you could scale one from a picture.
    Last edited by gnm109; 04-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Default You mean....

Open the box, AND read the manual? I don't know what to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowbuilt
    The Millermatic 211 is in the shop, and it needs a cart. I would like to build the cart as a first welding project with the new welder. Does anyone have specs or drawings for a cart that will accomodate this welder and a tank? I like the idea of the welder angling up for ease of use of the controls.
    Chris
    Here is the cart I built back in 2006 for my Hobart 187. It's about the same size as your Miller 211.
    (note: the plans were drawn after I built the cart so don't be afraid to modify as needed. The stock I used was 2-1/2" x 1/8" sq. tube, the back wheels are about 18" apart, and there is a short piece of 1-1/2" sq. tube holding the cap for the gas cylinder.)

- BDC