Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audels Machinists And Tool Makers Handy Book

Default Audels Machinists And Tool Makers Handy Book

I was just given this book it used to belong to my Grand Father.
    Other than a some damage to the cover its in great condition.
    Around 1200 pages a wealth of information copyright date 1946.
    My new bedside reader.

Terry

What sort of information?
    Is it mostly facts and tables and specs, similar to Machinery's Handbook?
    Or projects, tips, how-to's, etc.
    ...'er what?

Very good book . Had mine for years . 1942 version .Some very good info . especially on horizontal milling and gear cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl
    What sort of information?
    Is it mostly facts and tables and specs, similar to Machinery's Handbook?
    Or projects, tips, how-to's, etc.
    ...'er what?
    Don't remember the vintage on mine... But I would call it a good primmer on machining. I really liked the sections on layout and tool and die work. There are tables and trouble shooting sections in each chapter. The book is written in a conversational ask-answer style. It is not a Machinery's Handbook by an means.

Most of my machines are old enough to be in old books like this. I have two copies of the book, one in the cabinet in the john and one in the shop. They can be had pretty cheap on ebay. Unless you got new machines, I'd reccomend the book to anyone interested in machining arts.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

As they say,"It's all in your head". After you read this book a lot more of it will be, (that is, How to do machining set-ups)

I bought a copy after someone here recommended it -- one of the best shop texts I've seen. Somewhat like a cross between Robert Smith's Advanced Machine Work (where he gives formulas/processes for making various tools) and Machinery's Handbook.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Here's one given to me recently by a friend. I learned something in the first few minutes of reading.

I have a modern version of Audel's Millwrights and Mechanics Handbook. I originally stumbled into the book when I was in fourth or fifth grade and obsessed with go-karts. It taught me practically everything I know about chains, sprockets, belts and pulleys

Then the local library put the book into reference and I never saw it again. Just last year I found a new edition that was available so I bought it. It is more of a bed-side reader than Machinery's Handbook. It has some tables/data etc, but it also has tips and information. Very good read.

Nice score, Terry! I'd like to pick up the Machinist and Toolmakers text sometime...

Dr Stan Guest

The Audels' series is an excellent line of technical books. I used the Millwright's book as the text in a college level class in which we covered pipe, valves, fittings, fluid power, mechanical transmission of power, etc. Far superior to anything written as a textbook.

The line is owned by Willey Publishing. If you go to their home page http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/ and search for audels you will find links to all 47 of their technical books.