Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smelly Chinese Plastics

Drying is what causes the handles to stink. I wipe mine down with lacquer thinner to melt off the top layer of plastic. You loose the blue or red highlights but they stop smelling for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    Drying is what causes the handles to stink. I wipe mine down with lacquer thinner to melt off the top layer of plastic. You loose the blue or red highlights but they stop smelling for a couple of years.

Ahh ... makes sense. I'll keep that in mind.

JoeLee - just to clarify, I couldn't get the stink out of empty metal tool boxes . So I let those sit out in the sun. I tossed the screw drivers. I didn't need them and I didn't want them stinking up everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    Chinese rubber products do smell..... very strongly.

But older US-made plastics , often whatever was used as screwdriver handles, can stink worse. They not only stink, they become brittle.

I think they must have some type of mercaptan as a breakdown product, because they tend to smell like vomit.
    Actually, those handles are made of cellulose butyrate; it releases butyric acid as it ages.... same smell as rancid butter, btw.

Xcelite screwdriver handles do this a lot.

- Bart
    Bart Smaalders
    http://smaalders.net/barts

I don't understand people throwing away something they buy that ends up being unusable because it smells terrible, doesn't work as advertised, or other valid reasons. I always get my money back when what's wrong isn't my fault and wasn't obvious when I made the purchase.

Years ago when Miller first set up their forums I signed up. Later on they sent free tape measures to the first thousand or so that signed up. Made you know where. Actually felt OK quality.

Oddest damn plastic I have ever seen though. The thing secreted oil, or something like it. At first I though I had gotten oil on it the last time I used it. Wiped it off and went to use it a few weeks later and there it was again. Wiped it off again and it came back. I think I eventually threw the thing away. Either that or it oozed away to some part of the shop!

Speaking of chinese plastics, whats up with that god awful orange? And what exactly is it that makes the chinese stuff just look plain cheap? I have not quite pinned it down. Maybe the surface texture?

I have lots of Xcelite tools. Never had the problems with them as above. I love them compared to kliens for nut drivers.

Yep, just got a small garden cart yesterday. Plastic and rubber smelled - reminded me of insecticide. Stunk up the shop, so I moved it to the garage. Next step, thanks to advice in this thread, is out in the sun in the garden.

Had a similar smell from a little rubber bellows used to blow chips away from the blade on an imported scroll saw. It only smelled when I ran the saw. Wound up removing the bellows and associated hose to get rid of the smell.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Not only do Chinese rubber products stink, they don't hold up for crap and are the first rubber to check and crack. If we have to be stuck with chinese products I wish someone would teach them how to make rubber products. Rubber O rings are a waste of time, hard to find any American made these days.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

The Chinese are fond of bold colours and in particular the colour red and related colours. Red is associated with Prosperity and wealth and is a common theme in much Chinese fine art.

I haven't noticed any plastics lately Chinese or otherwise with a strong smell. I have a very sensitive nose too. The chemicals that are responsible for the nasty aromas are in the phthalate group. Some of these chemicals are the same as the chemicals that give feces it's familiar aroma. These are bad actors and are under investigation for causing genetic changes, especially in sex related characteristics since they resemble human sex hormones. The use of these chemicals has been widespread and is not a uniquely Chinese phenomenon.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Old Craftsman nut drivers were the worst about stinking. Not only would they stink, they would sink up your tool kit and take a while to wash off of your hands.

Speaking of chinese stuff smelling............. my sister bought my dog one of those rubber toys, it smelled like a new tire only much stronger. I washed it and soaked it and it still stunk. After it sat outside for a few weeks and the smell wouldn't go away I told her to take it back to Crap Mart and tell them to ship it back to the slants.

JL...................