Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complete OT: Your choice of gutter guards

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

We installed gutter helmet on our eavestrough to help with leaves and snow sliding off the steel roof. Basically a contoured cap that directs snow and debris off the roof and directs light and moderate flows of water into the eavestrough below. So far the eavestrough haven't bent in the 5 years they've been up, but the installers extended the eavestrough under the eave of an adjoining roof for the dormer over the front door creating a short length that water never runs into. Sounds innocent enough, until the birds started nesting there. Now from nest season until the hatchlings leave, the wall below is splattered with bird droppings. I can't get in to clean the nest material out because there is less than 1/2" between the lip of the eavestrough and the lowest edge of the gutter helmet.

I just had the Gutter Helmet guy out Monday to give an estimate on 54 feet of gutter helmet for my existing seamless gutters. The want $22.00 / foot installed. They clean all gutters, reseal endcaps, refasten with internal stainless steel hangers,(the gutters are spiked now) install black gutter helmets with no clog warranty and all that. I have Norway Maple on one side of the house and White and Red oaks on the other, lots of heavy leaves and those blasted strings and helicopter seed pod things. Eaves are beyond the reach of my 28 foot extension ladder so IF they clog, it will be their problem. I'll post in the future about how they work out.

I've also been considering some types of gutter leaf guards. Anything I do install, however, would prevent me from using my favorite method of cleaning my gutters; blowing them out with a gas powered leaf blower. Last season, I walked out on the roof along the gutters and blew them out. The blower works fine for dry leaves, and not quite as well for wet, packed leaves.
    This season, for safety , I've decided to stay off of the roof, and try to make an extension for the leaf blower so I can do the job from ground level. All of my gutters are first storey height. It seems to me that cleaning out gutters from ground level would be easier if the gutter supports were mounted entirely under the gutter, and did not bridge over the top . The supports would have to be stronger than normal supports to provide strength to the gutter . Sounds like a good home shop project.

Default Big mouth gutter drain

I installed a plastic screen over the top of the gutter and it was an improvement.

However an assortment of small stuff would still accumulate and clog up the small gutter hole that drained the gutter.

I found the "big mouth" gutter drain on the internet and installed them on all my gutters. No more clogs. The stuff just goes down the tube. No more clogs.

Here is a link. There are several vendors offering this product. This is only one of them. Do a search on "big mouth gutter".

http://www.gutterworks.com/big_mouth.html

fixxit
    457863656C73696F7220212000

Not sure if it's an option, but you could replace the gutters with this:

http://www.rainhandler.com/about_rai...ajqdemkf3pkou2

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

My favorite gutter guard is known as a chain saw. I just eliminate the REAL source of the problem......

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B
    Not sure if it's an option, but you could replace the gutters with this:

http://www.rainhandler.com/about_rai...ajqdemkf3pkou2

Ian
    Interesting, I always thought that part of what the gutters did was move the water away from the foundation of the house as well as reducing soil erosion. This does not do that. I wonder what the instructions say? "After putting our product on your house, please lower the soil in your yard and create a more natural runoff."?

I have to read that info again and see if I'm missing something or maybe the rocket scientists at MIT missed an obvious flaw.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

For years I fought clogged gutters & downspouts. I've tried various guards of all type to no avail. I finally gave-up about 10 years ago and bought a "Gooseneck" for my gas blower.
    It's a very light weight, swivel-jointed, plastic pipe in sections to make it as long as 15' (I only need 6' for my single story house). Just attach it to the gas blower and walk along the perimeter. I do this 3-4 times during the fall until the leaves are gone from the trees.
    It's a sloppy job as you get douched with water and leaves but it certainly keeps the gutters from backing-up.
    Rich

Unless you have something under the gutters to protect, like flower beds GET RID OF THE GUTTERS. All they do is cause rotting of the fascia and help water back up into your home.
    James Kilroy

Rockrat,

I think the idea is that, instead of a knife-edged sheet of water pouring onto the ground (which would certainly erode any loose ground), this device breaks it up into droplets, like heavy rain I suppose. It'll throw it maybe a couple of feet from the house, but not if the wind blows it towards the house.

In Holland, we have lots of farmhouses with thatched rooves. I've seen few or none with gutters, or these devices...

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...