Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Formula One returns to the United States

Default OT: Formula One returns to the United States

...in my home town. Schwing!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

This is a good news indeed.

No figures were given but it must have been several billion dollar deal.

Really think that's a nice idea! I've always been a fan of racing.

Hopefully they don't do like Grand Rapids did a while back. Don't even remember what race it was, but the city spent so much money trying to 'hide' it from anyone without a ticket that they lost their butts.

Ken.

as a younger guy, BC (before children) the wife to be and i would head to Montreal every year for the GP. Montreal is such a fun place and the hype on race weekend compounded things, I always had a great time. glad to see the GP's returning to the states and close to you to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo
    ...in my home town. Schwing!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

....excellent transportation infrastructure....

Obviously they have never driven through Austin on I-35 on a Friday evening

They never driven ANYWHERE in Austin at 5pm on a Friday, or just about any other work day for that matter. Lived there for a few years, really liked it, nice town, HORRIBLE RUDE drivers on par with Boston.

If you are from Boston or Austin and are offended, I've lived in both and I am qualified to comment...
    James Kilroy

Congratulations Austin!

Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a future US Formula 1 effort.
    Not since Dan Gurney won the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix in his own Eagle MK1, has an American car won a Formula One event. Way too long.
    The US has the talent within it's borders, they desperately need some major sponsorship money to get airborne. This sounds like a step in the direction needed to create spectator interest and hopefully release a bit of sponsorship funding.

Quote Originally Posted by dfw5914
    Obviously they have never driven through Austin on I-35 on a Friday evening
    It doesn't even need to be a Friday. The toll road operators should make a bundle.

I can just imagine all Northern folks coming down here in the summer and sitting on aluminum bleachers at mid-day sun.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    It doesn't even need to be a Friday. The toll road operators should make a bundle.
    Austin rush hour traffic is bad, but not as bad as Dallas, or heck San Jose, for that matter.

I can just imagine all Northern folks coming down here in the summer and sitting on aluminum bleachers at mid-day sun.
    No worse than the Texas Motor Speedway, or the Atlanta Motor Speedway
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I'm tickled to find there are a few F1 fans here. All I hear most places
    is talk about those "big left turn" drivers. I was really happy when I
    found Speed Channel was carrying F1 races. a couple years ago.
    I was at the first US GP in Sebring FL and been a fan ever since.
    The first note I saw on the return to US was on BBC news and at
    that time they were talking about a location in NY so I thought it
    would be a re-modeled Watkins Glenn but now it's TX so great, I hope
    it works out.
    ...lew...