Thread: off topic Ebay Paypal charges

Hybrid View

Default off topic Ebay Paypal charges

I recently bought two 3 phase electric motors on ebay, and therefore had an almost new single phase which I just sold for 55 it seems between ebay and paypal I have been charged 20% off the sale. Question is this usual or about right? It seems a lot more than usual to me , although they were never cheap??Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

depends if you have a reserve ..starting price that is high.
    picture package ..catigory ..all adds up

the last item i sold...starting price 99p .no listing charge ..no category charge...(you have to be careful choosing category's ..EG.antique category has high listing charge...others are free)

pics in photobucket..and used the HTML editor to place the pics

sold for 51

picked up by buyer

total bill scheduling fee 6p plus final value fee ....5.16

so 10 percent if you watch your category ..list start price very low, and don't use paypal

otherwise you're paying a lot.

Nope, that's about right. Ebay has cranked it's fees to the point where unless you're selling something big, it's almost not worth the effort.

They did it in part to discourage- yes, really- the individual seller. They would prefer to see eBay turn into another Amazon, where a relative few "professional" sellers list many thousands of items each. And that was in part to reduce dispute headaches- a fair percentage of person-to-person deals had issues, while far fewer sales from high-volume dealers had any problems.

But yes, right now, eBay charges you to list it, charges you more to "upgrade" the listing, charges you a portion of the total bid once it sells, then requires you to use PayPal which then charges you yet another fee.

There was a time when I had a lot of small bits I needed to sell- one of those cases where it was too good to toss, but not good enough to bother trying to sell otherwise. Lots of them went for .99 cents or $2 or so. Typically I made roughly a dime on each sale- at which point it became cheaper to just toss 'em.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

gnm109 Guest

They don't want small sellers on eBay anymore. They are doing their best to get rid of them with higner listing and final value fees. 20% is a little high but not that far from what actually happens on eBay most of the time.

Where are you guys going instead?

There's gotta be someone out there who's looking to capture the receding market of tens of thousands of fleabay sellers who've had enough. So who are the new players?

Gunpal is a paypal type service used for firearms transactions. I don't know anything about them other than their name as I haven't looked further.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaper
    Where are you guys going instead?

There's gotta be someone out there who's looking to capture the receding market of tens of thousands of fleabay sellers who've had enough. So who are the new players?
    I've been buying and selling stuff on Craigslist. See Craigslist.org for the various sites. I believe they also have international listings for those of you outside the US.

RWL

gnm109 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RWL
    I've been buying and selling stuff on Craigslist. See Craigslist.org for the various sites. I believe they also have international listings for those of you outside the US.

RWL

I use Craig's list for large items that I really don't care to ship. In the past year or so I sold a Mill Drill, a floor model evaporative cooler and a very large Oak desk. All three deals were very nice with no packing, although I did help load the items.

Craig's list is great for local action but it doesn't have the nationwide capability of eBay.

I quit dealing with ebay a couple of years ago. Got a bad deal ripped off by the seller, followed all of ebay and paypals rules and never recieved a dime.
    With paypal it was a policy change and they decided I no longer fell under the dispute protection although I did at the time of the sale, and ebay everytime I emailed about the incident they were "checking on it and would get back to me". After months of that I suddenly get there is no record of your dispute, despite copies of all emails and paypal transaction and post sale communications I never got any money refunded. I let everyone know about ripoff ebay and to avoid them like the devil.

Don't forget if seller paid by credit card or echeck and not direct bank transfer there is a charge for that too

so you have your 55 starting price insertion fee..which is the same as a reserve ..correct me if I'm wrong

category fee ..cant find what they charge for below..its not easy finding anything on ebay

Business, Office & Industrial > Electrical & Test Equipment > Components & Supplies > Cables & Connectors > Connectors & Sockets

funny category to list a motor in though !

55 final value fee
    paypal 3.75 percent fee...and thats on the postage as well i think ..not sure
    plus you could have another credit card fee

total 20 percent easily possible

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 06-07-2010 at 05:10 PM.

We have a lot of buyers that want a discount and our reply is they need to call the office and speak with some regarding this. If some one calls we always discount the item and sell it direct or from our dot com. We have started pricing items on our dot com at ebay selling price minus eBay fees, its a wash for us on profit and the buyer gets a bettter deal. We also tell them that the price is only good with check or cash, if they insist on credit card 3% is added to the total. This has been working very well for us and alot of other sellers are discounting items sold direct. Just be careful and do not incriminate your self using eBay's message system or email!!! They cannot legaly use a taped phone conversation unless they tell you this is being recorded, they can use eBay's message system and email to get your account shut down. So if you want a better deal always contact the seller direct.