Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: laer pin?

Default laer pin?

Hey guys, just got the 8x12 from HF and already have a question. I want to take the leadscrew off and it has 2 screws and according to the manual 2 laer pins on the tailstock end, I've never heard of laer pins. The pins appear to be drilled and threaded. What are they for and how do they come out?

Thanks, Jim Doherty

Interesting. I've never heard of pins called that either, but there are threaded dowel and taper pins. If that's what they are, the thread enables you to jack them out. Put a spacer over the hole to allow space for the pin to be pulled into, then use a screw, nut, stud, or whatever is appropriate to extract the pin.
    "Be thankful you don't get all the government you pay for." Will Rogers

Thats a new one on me too.Would there be some advantage to a threaded pin versus a roll pin,or even a bolt? (provided theres enough clearance)

yes, a threaded dowel pin, like a regular dowel, sets a location, but is easily removed from a blind bottomed hole. A bolt doesn't set location, and a roll pin isn't as strong or easily removed.

Thanks TGTool, had to read it twice but makes sense now. I guess I'll need a thread pitch gauge next. I need to disassemble the lathe to be able to carry it into the house either that or I learn to turn metal in the car.

Thanks, Jim Doherty

All this raises a question from me.
    I have some of those tapered pins with the thread inside. I've pulled some just as suggested here.

I want to install some of these on some modifications I'm working on.

They are drilled and installed AFTER the alignment is achieved.

What are these listed as in tool catalogs and are there kits that sell the drills along with an assortment of matching tapered pins?

There must be a code numbering system for the tapered drill bits and pins?
    John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Doherty
    Hey guys, just got the 8x12 from HF and already have a question. I want to take the leadscrew off and it has 2 screws and according to the manual 2 laer pins on the tailstock end, I've never heard of laer pins. The pins appear to be drilled and threaded. What are they for and how do they come out?

Thanks, Jim Doherty
    Typo? Shear pin?

I do believe its a typo but they are not shear pins. TGTool had it right I just need to figure out the thread/pitch as its not listed in the manual and HF tech support had no idea either.

Jim Doherty

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu
    All this raises a question from me.
    What are these listed as in tool catalogs and are there kits that sell the drills along with an assortment of matching tapered pins?

There must be a code numbering system for the tapered drill bits and pins?
    Hi,
    There is a numbering system for them both in metric and imperial. They are called taper pins and you use taper reamers after drilling with a normal drill or a tapered drill.
    If you type taper pin or taper reamer into google there is plenty of info out there and they are for sale on ebay as well. If your just doing a couple of holes buy a cheap one as the quality brands can get really expensive.
    Dave

Sounds like Danish to me. In Danish Laer pin means Master pin. Laer means Master or Teacher but can have multiple contexts where it has different meanings, just as in English.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here