Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Rolling Tool Chests on Sale, Good Deal?

Default Craftsman Rolling Tool Chests on Sale, Good Deal?

Sears is offering their rolling tool chest sets at 50% off for Dads' Day.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...7=tool%20chest

Without setting off a flame war on the general quality of Craftsman tools, what's the opinion on these chests? Do they compare favorably with, say, Waterloo or similar brands?

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin

Without setting off a flame war on the general quality of Craftsman tools, what's the opinion on these chests? Do they compare favorably with, say, Waterloo or similar brands?
    Double check on the country of origin of the specific item. Many of their roll arounds are being built in China and are of typical Chinese quality. I was in the market for a larger tool box and checked with Sears during one of their sales. When I discovered it was made in China I passed.

Personally I think Waterloo is one of the best for the money. In contrast while Snap-On and Kennedy are very good they are way over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin

At this time, Craftsman tool boxes are build to Sears specs by Waterloo.

jack

They hold tools, they roll, and they don't explode/burst into flame when I'm not in the shop.

That's all I ask and they don't disappoint.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Sears makes three "levels" of tool chests, easily identified by the drawer slides. The cheapest chests have cheap slides, next up is OK slides, the top have nice roller bearing slides. You get what you pay for. Craftsman has been fine by me.

Steve.

don't get the home storage boxes they are junk easy to tell. they are the ones that have a bar that lides down the front to lock the drawers.

the ones i like are the quitglide boxes. i have some that are 35 years old and still working just like new.

the next one up are the roller bearing i don't like them. too many moving parts and the grawers seam to be made from a thinner gage metal then the quitglides.

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by platypus2020
    At this time, Craftsman tool boxes are build to Sears specs by Waterloo.

jack
    When I was in the market (less than 12 months ago)I was looking at their top of the line which were of Chinese origin. At work we recently bought one of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=L17

made in Taiwan. For the $ one would have expected USA origin.

I got the cheap craftsmen ones and its been ok.. except for the movers droping it on its front while locked, and several drawers comming unlocked (Wtf!) and now won't lock properly due to the back of the drawer being streched out. (need a metal shrinker.. or to do some heatwork.. -_-)

also one drawer slide the bearings are comming out of.. kinda jams it a little on one side.. I should just call sears and ask for a replacement drawerslide..

I have a real old chest and top box by Craftsman. About a year ago I wanted to expand my storage space and began looking at their intermediate boxes. I ended up buying the "Ball Bearing, Griplatch" box with four drawers . 26-1/8" wide x 16" deep overall size. I have no idea what model number it is specifically, but I am very happy with it. I also own a ball-bearing Kennedy and find them of equal quality. Perhaps I am even a little more fond of my Craftsman It was so much less expensive than my Kennedy!

So yes, I would say there are Craftsman boxes that stack up favorably against the competition----and moreso if they are 50% off!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur.Marks
    I have a real old chest and top box by Craftsman. I also own a ball-bearing Kennedy and find them of equal quality.
    So yes, I would say there are Craftsman boxes that stack up favorably against the competition----and moreso if they are 50% off!
    I also have an old bottom box by Craftsman that has held up well, but it is hard to compare 30 year old (any brand) to new. But if I needed a box , 50% off would get My attention.

Steve