Thread: Kinda OT....New edger

Default Kinda OT....New edger

Well I got a new lawn edger for fathers day, nothing fancy, just a simple edger. Craftsman Branded... I got thru about 18" of edge and realized something was going on.
    Seems the sidebrackets are some type of terribly weak scrap metal, made in China....

Wow! That sucks! Sorta like buying a boat and finding a sticker on it that says "Do not immerse in water".

Don't mean to belittle your gift, but even if it hadn't bent, you still have a POS. As you will discover if you have more than 10' of hard soil and/or tough grass to edge. They make power edgers for a reason. I went through the same experiment 38 years ago with the same design ( back then my back bent instead).

RWO

Well....there is a reason to remove all that lawn...and replace it with green dyed concrete. Then you will get a pressure washer for father's day

That is one thing I like about living in the sticks. No reason to own such a tool. Edges...I got no stinking edges...I just mow up to where the black berries live. Places I can't mow get drenched in weed killer or torched with a propane burner.

Being a HSM kinda guy...I am sure you can engineer a better set of side supports for that. I can think of at least 10 different ways to fix that ....bad thing is only a couple take less than $500 and 3 weeks to build

Have the wife and kids take it back and return with something engine driven.

Or-

A 2" wide paint roller and some Roundup makes a nice edgerless boarder
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Well they offered to get me a powered edger, but I declined believing that model shown would be sufficient. I don't have much walk to do.....anyway it was returned, and a little email sent off to Sears to tell them that they are selling crap for tools.

Uncle O:

Are you happy with the spirit of that gift? I'd be a bit p1ssed off. Would your wife like some kitchen crap for Christmas?

Just sayin'
    Mike

If you buy crap, be prepared to re-design and fix it.

A nursery spade with a properly sharpened edge does a great job edging sidewalks and driveways. No need for another engine to maintain or another single use tool.

I'm so glad I make the mrs do the lawn work so I don't have bad experiences like this one.