Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Difference?

Default Whats the Difference?

Between a sandblast cabinet and a baking soda-blasting Cabinet? I been looking at a TP model but its quite far away. I do have a sandblast cabinet and yet I have been told by ?experts? HA HA that it wont work? Any ideas guys ? Thanx mike

Dr Stan Guest

I've wondered much the same, so this gave me a reason to conduct some research. I found the following thread that seems to cover the topic quite well: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/soda...ap-128088.html

Go to HF and down load the manuals for the 15 pounder or 10 pounder soda blast unit. I have the 10 pounder, haven't got enough done to play with it, other than some different set up on the assemble that mixes the soda with the air flow I can see the nozzle is smaller since the soda is a lot smaller and a whole lot lighter than any of the media I run thru my blast cabinet, pressures will be different. After dinner I will go out and shoot some photos of the working end and parts and then post.
    You can also go to Eastwoods site and check their forum and tech facts out about theirs as they were the first ones selling them.
    I would think that the dust being finer would require a tighten cabinet and the biggest thing would contamination of the soda going into the nozzle the bottle is pressurized and forces the soda up and out.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

gnm109 Guest

No difference whatsoever no how. I've used soda in my bead blasting cabinet. Works fine, at least it worked fine for me.

I've also used, in the same cabinet:

1. Walnut shells.
    2. Fine glass beads.
    3. Med. glass beads.
    4. Coarse glass beads.
    5. Copper slag.

I know that there are specialized cabinets for soda. Perhaps my gun, which is a Snap-On product is different and permits different media....don't know.

I was hoping that I could find something even more exotic but I haven't yet come aross anything. Perhaps dried, ground unborn octopus granules might give a finer finish.
    Last edited by gnm109; 06-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Dr Stan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnm109
    I was hoping that I could find something even more exotic but I haven't yet come aross anything. Perhaps dried, ground unborn octopus granules might give a finer finish.
    That's funny.

BTW, ground up slag from a steel mill or an iron foundry works very well. I just have not found a local source.

May want to try ground up oil execs. They seem to be fairly hard-hearted.

gnm109 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan
    That's funny.

BTW, ground up slag from a steel mill or an iron foundry works very well. I just have not found a local source.

May want to try ground up oil execs. They seem to be fairly hard-hearted.

Yes, and perhsps we could throw in a few politicians of both major parties in order to provide some lubrication.

Speaking of executives. My old boss had a heart of gold - yellow and hard.

You want exotic try Dry Ice nothing left, but the paint or curd that it scrubs off.

Air input regulator

Secondary fine adjusting knob and the on/off valve on the outlet hose to the nozzle.

Nozzle
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Dry ice, I love it.
    Now if only someone could invent a sandblaster that works on the cheaper and more avilable wet ice...

Afaik the mixer is the only diffrence, I think eastwood sells a converter to change thier sand blasters to soda blasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons
    Dry ice, I love it.
    Now if only someone could invent a sandblaster that works on the cheaper and more avilable wet ice...

Afaik the mixer is the only diffrence, I think eastwood sells a converter to change thier sand blasters to soda blasters.
    coldjet dry ice blasters They ain't cheap cost more than a used truck, but they are rental units in most major markets. Used for delicate restorations work.

I believe the converter adapter runs around $125.00 it's the things in side that you can't see that gives people fits in building them from the hardware store
    Glen

This is one of the Arm & Hammer (Church & Dwight) soda blasting pattents;

http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationD...149480B1&KC=B1