Thread: IMI Uzi mags - what the heck are they made out of?

Default IMI Uzi mags - what the heck are they made out of?

I had the task of modifying some today for my Feather AT-9, and discovered they're made out of some tough stuff. Anyone know what alloy?

80ipm was a bit more than my 3/16" M42 end mill could handle, as it only lasted 5 out of the 6 slots and broke while helical plunging to make the 6th cut.

My HSS deburring tool also had trouble taking the edges down.

The only thing I've seen about material is the phrase "hardened steel" in a firearm forum. I haven't personally handled any but is it possible they have a spring temper for durability? Some mags mention 1050 spring steel. Den
    Last edited by nheng; 06-27-2010 at 11:21 AM.

It's not spring steel, at least not springy in it's current temper. A couple of the mag's ears needed fixing because they were bent a little, and that was easily accomplished with a mallet and my work bench.

Most magazine material is kinda of all over the map. Some are just junk mild steel others can be of a medium carbon content and heat treated for rigidity and holding adjustments on the feed lips. Additionally some mags may be heat treated to improve the abilities to prevent mag catch wear. Some magazines can be made from stainless to prevent corrosion and then coated with finishes to produce a black look. I modify mags on occasion and found some that have to be handled with a grinding tip in the Foredom Tool. Others are like butter and are nearly impossible to get to feed right for more than 10 rounds before the lips move.