Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need A Book Recomend -- Steel Rule Dies

Default Need A Book Recomend -- Steel Rule Dies

Need a good book on steel rule die construction... something with lots of charts and graphs and formulas... got an Idea, need to see if what I want to do is withing the capability of a steel-rule die.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Don't know whether you can afford it or not.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...e+dies&x=0&y=0

What are these book sellers smoking ?
    Found the Law book on gears and gear cutting the other day at $380, it was new though

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

yeeeeaaaah... I'll come back to that one if I can't find something a bit less.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Don't have any books,but I have done a bunch with rules dies.What do you need?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I need a rather intricate part deflashed, part is EPDM rubber. Before the hardware gets put on I need to punch a huge amount of flash off without destroying the sheds. I'm thinking a wood board with slots for the sheds to fit into, and various supports and such for the part... and of course the steel rules to punch the flash off.

Currently, the machine spits out SIX of these per cycle... cycle is 540 seconds (!!) but with all the other "stuff" that needs to be done we need some kind of automation here... I'm thinking a simple air-press should be able to push steel rules through the material in one stroke reducing the need for someone to stand there and pick the flash... trim the vestige... scrape the flash off the rod...

Last edited by Liger Zero; 06-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Okay,so if I read you right you have a flash web between the disc shaped sections right?

How thick is the web and what durometer hardness is the rubber,also what would be the total perimeter measurement you need to trim?With those numbers we can calculate tonnage required.Of course the less the perimeter to be trimmed the less tonnage required.

You may end up needing an aluminum backer plate machined to fit the part profile back to the trim line,also a UHMW layer to knife into.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep all this confidential.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience
    Okay,so if I read you right you have a flash web between the disc shaped sections right?

How thick is the web and what durometer hardness is the rubber,also what would be the total perimeter measurement you need to trim?With those numbers we can calculate tonnage required.Of course the less the perimeter to be trimmed the less tonnage required.

You may end up needing an aluminum backer plate machined to fit the part profile back to the trim line,also a UHMW layer to knife into.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep all this confidential.
    I'll get back to you with that information. and some pictures.

Wisdom dictates it is easier to cut this stuff when it is warm before it cures all the way through. That'll reduce my tonnage requirement.

Freeze and crop??

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Dry ice in a tumbler with small ball bearings.
    You may also want to cut relief around the outside of your part with a ballmill. Leave the cut about 1/16 to 3/32 away from the edge of the part in your mold for relief. This allows the extra EPDM to go somewhere else than form a thicker flash. Normally the flash can peel off very easily or fall off when demolding.
    Used both methods. The second is standard for most of my molds. EPDM is much different than plastic for flow and flash.

Already have the flash channel around the part. 4 out of six cavities the flash pulls off by hand, the other two require trimming. This is due to a deflection issue, a known issue that cannot be corrected without building a new mold... not an option.