Thread: Can you identify this mill?

Default Can you identify this mill?

It was imported by KBC.

It's got a two lever geared speed selector, and a thing that goes on top to run it as a horizontal mill. There is no quill in that vertical head.

All of the plates on it are in Chinese, (that and KBC) make me assume this is an import. KBC model number is HM-20.

I'd like to get a manual, etc for it.

the sub-tropical island of Anglesey, North Wales

Nice little toy !!!

you could start looking here > http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html

BTW Don't store that heavy vice overhung like in pic, mill tables should always be stored central & any load should be balanced.

john

I called KBC, and they didn't have a manual for it, which I find a little surprising.

Anyway, I think this is basically an Adcock Shipley knock off. It seems like it once had a longitudinal power feed on it, and it's got the same basic layout.

I'm kinda curious as to whether it would be possible to use one the AS / Bridgeport adapters to mount a head with a quill on it. (That'd be real nice.)

Also, the horizontal taper LOOKS like an NMT 30 taper, but it's off by about 10-15 though in most dimensions, and the little slots in the edge are .55 when they should be .65. Is this just "worn out taper" (I don't think the previous owner had ever used it in horizontal mode, as he didn't have any of the horizontal arbors.) or is there some kind of Taiwanese National Taper that I'm not familiar with that it could be?

tfs

Why wouls you want a quill when the vertical travel is in the knee on this machine?

looks a bit like my old centec 2a mill

regards mick

Quote Originally Posted by jep24601
    Why wouls you want a quill when the vertical travel is in the knee on this machine?
    Probably because drilling a series of holes and perhaps tapping is a PITA using only the knee for vertical movement.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Default Old Mill

The pic seems to show an early model #2 Victoria made way------back when by Elliott. Nothing unusual in the construction details. Straight forward gear boxes.
    Knee Gibs need some care in adjusting so that the knee lowers without sticking

Enjoy you nre treasure!

Default Mill Table

It looks like there are T slots on the bottom of the table above the dovetail for the Y axis. I wonder if there are bolts underneath that you could loosen and turn the table to an angle?

It has similiar characteristics of a Steinel. It could be a rough copy

K Liv

The only bit that looks Centec to me is the main column. The saddle is massive, and the knee's pretty huge too.

I agree a quill feed would be nice. Do you have the overarm support and an arbour ?
    Richard