Thread: How do I get that dam plasticizer smell out?

Default How do I get that dam plasticizer smell out?

Bought some safety goggles from HF. It's the kind with a plastic lens and a clear, flexible rubber/plastic border around it that seals around your face. It has that plastic / vinyl smell, which is bothersome. I tried leaving it out in the open a few days and also washing with hot soapy water, but the smell is still there. How can I get rid of it? (The smell, not the goggles)

Bake them at 120-150 in an oven to drive the last bit of plasticizer and finish the cure.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Quote Originally Posted by Liger Zero
    Bake them at 120-150 in an oven to drive the last bit of plasticizer and finish the cure.
    Is that F or C?

And isn't that going to mess up my oven? (it's gas)

I could be cruel but I won't... It's F. C would destroy your goggles.

Turn the oven on, let it heat then turn the heat off, stick your goggles in. Then let the oven air out.

I forget not everyone has an old converted stove-oven in their workshop for this kind of thing, sorry.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Default Goggles

Take them back to the place of purchase and demand a refund. Sears had a similar problem with plastic screwdriver handles many years ago. There was no formal recall but they did replace them if the customer complained

JRW

Just throw them on the dash of your car on a hot day, that ought to do it!

I dont know, I kind of like the smell of fresh goggles.

I just lay them out in the sun for a couple of days.
    But then it was 118 in the shade by the pool yesterday and 88 when I got up this morning.

I just realized that I'm now a senior member. Today I'm feeling a little more senior than usual.
    Spent yesterday crawling around under my rental fixing plumbing, now I get to pay for it. Wish I wasn't so cheap.
    Last edited by KIMFAB; 07-10-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

The key to getting the stench out (I don't mind it) is low heat. Doesn't matter how you do it, just keep in mind too much heat can cause warping and melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Liger Zero
    The key to getting the stench out (I don't mind it) is low heat. Doesn't matter how you do it, just keep in mind too much heat can cause warping and melting.
    I couldn't find a "spare oven" to do it in that wasn't already coated with horrible chemicals. I tried leaving it out in the sun for a few hours these last few days, and the smell is "less bad". Somebody else told me that you need UV, some heat, and ozone to get the smell out, but the smell is what keeps the material flexible, and once that is gone, it will harden.