Thread: AR-10 Sights - too many to choose from!

Hybrid View

Default AR-10 Sights - too many to choose from!

So I purchased an Armalite AR-10 7.62 carbine last year but it didn't come with any sights. It has a dovetail rail of sorts on the reciever and a small one up front. I understand it's a standard rail that most sights are designed to clamp onto. So the question is where do I begin? I started asking at gunshops and they tell me there are a thousand different options and I need to figure out "whats best" for myself. I am totally new to this category of firearms so how the heck would I know! Incidentaly, I fired it for the first time today (used my forehand thumb sticking up as a crude sight ) and was able to pop detergent bottles at 200 yards after a few homing shots. I like the thought of one of those Eotech holographic sights but they are pricey. Fixed sights?

I have a very similar set up but on a 5.56 20" H-Bar.
    The reddot is a Bushnell Trophy.

I generally dont't like reddots on long arms because the center dot obscures the target at anything past pistol distances, but this one has tiny little dot, about 1MOA. The open center of the T is great idea. Its red/green selectable for shooting in daylight or low/no light.

As I don't trust electronic sights as an only option on a firearm I put a folding Yankee Hill front sight on the picatinny gas block.

The rear sight is a BUIS unit.

The iron sights co-witness the reddot so checking t be sure zero hasn't moved is a snap. And if the battery dies I can either look through the tube or remove it.
    Ignorance is curable through education.

On my 5.56 Ar I have reddot it is the bushnell with the 4 reticles. Quick to aquire, it is mounted on top of the carry handle on my A2 so the sites are always available.

On my 7.62X51 I want to maximize it's distance capabilities so I use a Bushnell 3200 10X mildot mounted in high Warne lever lock rings. This gives a very solid and repeatable combination. The 3200 Bushnell, in my opinion, is an excellent buy and can be had for around $200 with a little shopping. I will tell you know the warne Rings are going to set you back about $80, if you do some shopping I have bumped into them for around $50, but they are excellent rings for money.

A 10X will get you out to 600yds with a bit of practice and down to 50 yds (25 yds in a pinch). I have a set of the DPMS rear removable battle sites (this gun has an A2 style front site/gas block) that I use as a backup.

Just one oldguys opinion...

DonT

Default AR sights

My first recommendation is to go ahead and buy a detachable carrying handle/rear sight. It never needs batteries, and when the end of the world comes, you're going to need something without batteries. Just make sure you've got enough 168's lying around to feed the beast.

Next, I've got an eotech on my AR. Love it. Highly recommend it. Make sure you get the one that accepts AA batteries. As we approach TEOTWAWKI, lithium batteries will get scarce as hen's teeth. As our soldiers have learned, stay with AA's.

If you're going for a standard scope, then you've got to figure on mounts first. Keep in mind, different scopes have different OD's. Make sure you get rings to fit your scope OD, or you're going to be very unhappy. Low rings from leupold, etc will likely not work on a standard 40mm bell objective. Medium height rings are likely your best bet, unless you're looking into a 55mm objective, or have high hand guards.

I'd make sure that you can get a scope with a SHORT eye relief, which might be counter intuitive when it comes to recoil. The problem is that the required eye relief to see the full image is generally too great, given the geometry of the butt stock and limitations as to how forward you can place the scope. Read that again, for it's important.

Best option, when it comes to glass, is making something that looks like a Scout rifle. Using a pistol or shotgun scope, mount it out on top of the hand guards. That way, you'll have a clear sight picture, rapid target acquisition, and you won't have to mess around with some katty-wumpus head position in order to see clearly thru the scope.

I think Armalite (Mark Westrom) makes a special scope ring set up for the Flat-top AR platforms, where the scope can be positioned further forward than the normal flat top with general purpose rings can offer.

Regards,

1smalljohnson

Thanks for input guys. I kinda like the idea of the fixed sights too simply for passive reliability and initial cost. Who knows, maybe Santa will bring me the Eotech sights! Roger that on the AA's
    Assume I want fixed sights, are the Armalite sights decent or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'd generally consider all the removable carrying handle sights as being nothing more or less than "mil-spec". Mark Westrom at Armalite is a square dealer (manufacturer). He won't put out junk, and he does stand behind his products. Thus, were you in the market for said sight, I'd not hesitate to recommend his products. Of course, there are other manufacturers out there as well who do an equal job. Too many to mention. Likewise, I'm sure there are others who just want to turn a dime. Stay away from imports, as many come from Tiawan, Eastern Block, etc. While they may look like a duck, they generally don't quack like a duck for very long.