Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your new 5C spin index or other tool

Default Check your new 5C spin index or other tool

Before using your new Phase II 5C spin index make sure you go through the entire tool and tighten everything up with a wrench. Good looking tool, it appeared that it was ready to go out of the box, but all fasteners where a little less than "wrench tight" Couldn't move anything by hand, found out the hard way. My part slipped, My fault, all of it was tightened up but not enough for real working conditions. Put a wrench on those new tools before use.

What fasteners ? It only has a drawbar tube for the 5C collet ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I think the OP has a point. From my experience a nut loose in the shop can cause endless headaches for everyone else.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

The only fasteners on my spin idex is three set screws on the collar and the drawbar for the collet.

What fasteners came loose and what happened?
    It's only ink and paper

Mine has a collar nut (spanner nut) that holds the index plate tight, it threads against the plate to hold it, Slipped off by a degree due to being almost tight enough. Didn't notice until, after I had already plunged a drill bit in.
    Just saying to check your fixtures before using. Parts will come loose, don't assume that those screws are tight.
    Ted
    Last edited by mototed; 07-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Alas, you are 25-years too late:

not having performed the check you suggest, my brandy-new Indian-made toothed grinding-wheel dresser came apart at speed (the axle was not screwed tightly into the tool), sending a tiny sliver of shrapnel into the white of my eye. Off to the emergency room, and on Christmas day, of all days.

Then as now, I'm no aficionado of Indian-made goods: but at the time of purchase, my thought was, "Well, it's only a wheel-dresser, how can they screw that up?"

Default Pinned down

Here is a "Spindexer":

I only use the indexing pin to locate the spindle - and then I use the knurled thumb-screw (on the top of the "barrel") to clamp the spindle. More often than not I will withdraw the locating pin anyway - "just in case".

I am not at all sure that the fairly small indexing pin and its housing in the main body casting and the indexing plate are meant to take or resist any machining loads.

Its the same with my rotary tables. Unless I am circular milling, I clamp my table whenever I am cutting and do not rely on the worm and worm-wheel to keep it in position. I prefer to have the least load on the worm and wheel as possible as they are intended to be a location device and not a holding device (unless circular milling).

"Load hammering" on the indexer on a worm and wheel in a rotary table or on the location pin on a Spindexer will certainly not improve them.

The clamps on the "Spindexer" and the rotary table were put there for a purpose and a good reason - use them.

Another thing that is a good idea to do as a general rule, replace all the 1/4x20 set screws in any of these units as well as those in the cheap AXA/BXA tool holders.

They all seem to be just junk and improperly sized.

I still need to get/make a pin wrench for my 5C spindex index plate collar..

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie
    Here is a "Spindexer":

Tiff,did you do the ER mod to that indexer or is that a bought item?
    I just need one more tool,just one!