Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nor-Cal Field Trip

Default Nor-Cal Field Trip

I am trying to arrange a field trip to the shops of Railtown 1897 in Jamestown, up in the foothills near Sonora. This is a state park, and they just finished rebuilding a steam engine, including a new boiler. They have a lineshaft shop for show, and a more modern shop for doing real work on their equipment.

I'd like to find out preferences of those who might attend. It would be a half day or so in the shops, plus whatever transportation you would need to add. It should be after September 12, and Tuesdays are apparently not good.

Please let me know what dates would be best, and I'll see what I can set up.
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

RB211 Guest

I am interested but I have no idea what days I will be available pending job interviews, etc.

I'm interested, but it would have to be after Sept. 12 and I can't do Tuesdays The more notice the better.

Steve

Count me in, with as much notice as possible.....

Jim

I'd be interested in seeing their shops again. The group might particularly like the "modern" shop - lots of classic American Heavy Iron: e.g. Axelson lathes, a Bullard VTL. My schedule is flexible as I'm retired.
    David

Well, we finally have a date for this trip - Saturday, 25 September. I'd like to meet there at 9am, as we may be able to see some additional activity. We can get a tour of all of the shops, and get a train ride to boot. The turntable will be in action moving motorcars and locomotives. We will have our own tour guide, George Sapp, who was recently in charge of a total steam engine rebuild project.

Given its location, I think it would be wise to carpool where practical. If you are interested, either post your location and contact info, or at least your location, so others can contact you to arrange this. I'd like to know who at least plans to attend, so I can let our hosts know about how many to expect. If you have hard hat/safety glasses, please bring them.

I'm in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. PM or phone me at 916/685-3540.
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

sounds like a worthy Oregon to Gold country road trip. Have a friend thats a train nut I'll see if he can make it and mosey on down

Default railtown trip

You guys might also want to see Columbia state park a few miles away.
    It has a working blacksmith shop. And is a neat old gold town.
    Jim

Sundays are good for me

I'm working 6 - 10 hr shifts right now

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFin
    Sundays are good for me

I'm working 6 - 10 hr shifts right now
    Joe, it is set for Saturday the 25th of September.
    Shirley You wont still be milking them for Saturdays.

Steve