Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone automated a manual surface grinder?

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Default Has anyone automated a manual surface grinder?

The discussion on the HF surface grinder reminded me of all the MANUAL surface grinders I have seen in HSM shops.

So has anyone automated their manual surface grinders?

If so, let's how you did it and be sure to include the pictures.

Thanks

TMT

oldbikerdude37 Guest

While surfing I stumbled onto this the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GFXPWknWXg

That was going to be my next project but it got superseded by four others and a broken wife.
    I have however obtained a DC motor with a brake for the project and have come up with a motor controller.
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

How will you use the DC motor/brake and a motor controller to repair your broken wife?

Sorry... I couldn't resist!

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Thanks for replies so far.

I am aware of the HSM discussion.

While there were some good ideas, note that no one had any implementation to show us other than the youtube posting.

So again, I am looking for setups that others have implemented.

TMT

Default Surface grinder X drive

One of the ways you can obtain reciprocating motion is to use an air cylinder with an oil reservoir to feed it, You apply compressed air to the top of the oil reservoir, which provides the pressure and you can control the cylinder with normal compressed air control valves. Speed and stroke changes are a doddle.

NzOldun

I was also intrigued by this link:

I timed out the motor and found it runs at about 45 RPM. I also left a posting requesting further information on the motor/gearbox, receiving no response from the poster as of yet. Perhaps someone else will recognize the motor/gearbox unit. It seems well suited for the task.

A check of E-bay yielded a couple of possibly suitable motor/gearbox units. I was interested in DC motors for easy speed control. This is a project I'm very interested in. Unfortunately, it's several projects behind other projects I'm very interested in .

Fred

oldbikerdude37 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pherdie
    I was also intrigued by this link:

I timed out the motor and found it runs at about 45 RPM. I also left a posting requesting further information on the motor/gearbox, receiving no response from the poster as of yet. Perhaps someone else will recognize the motor/gearbox unit. It seems well suited for the task.

A check of E-bay yielded a couple of possibly suitable motor/gearbox units. I was interested in DC motors for easy speed control. This is a project I'm very interested in. Unfortunately, it's several projects behind other projects I'm very interested in .

Fred
    yea what did he use? a windshield wiper moter? Im not sure but it was cheap.

gary350 Guest

I automated a vertical mill once. Step on foot pedal and it makes one pass and cuts slots in a part. Remove part put in another one then step on the pedal. It was pretty fast much quicker than pulling the lever by hand because the operator would not get tired and make fewer parts.