Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bevel Gear Cutting

Default Bevel Gear Cutting

Can anyone guide me to an article(s) showing how to design and cut plain bevel gears. BEN

Default Start here.

Quote Originally Posted by beni73005
    Can anyone guide me to an article(s) showing how to design and cut plain bevel gears. BEN

download the google "Brown & Sharp's"; "Practical treatise on gearing"; PDF.
    http://www.archive.org/details/practicaltreati00rigoog

read some, (chapters ix & x), ask more questions,

Cheers,

Les H.
    The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Get Ivan Law's book "Gears and Gear Cutting." It's available from here http://www.lathes.co.uk/books.htm if you can't find a local source.

Kozo Hiroka (sp?) also describes the process in at least one of his locomotive construction books.
    Last edited by SGW; 07-22-2010 at 07:10 AM.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

I know this ain't what you asked but I'll shove it out there anyway as it may help some.

Tractor Service Supply has this type of gear in stock as farmers use them alot. Depending on your needs, they might serve you well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/

Default Bevel Gear Info

Quote Originally Posted by beni73005
    There are two major ways of cutting bevel gears to the amature with a milling machine.

The standard type bevel gear where, the pitch diameter, the top of the tooth (addendum) and the bottom of the tooth (dedendum all point to the same centre. As per the drawing posted earlier. This means the tooth is tapered in two directions and requires the use of BEVEL gear cutters of the Brown & Sharp pattern. After cutting the inner face needs fitting by filing.

The Pentz Parallel Depth Gear is different in that the pitch diameter is the same as in the above but the addendum and dedendum are to tapered to the same centre as the pitch line but barrel to it. this means that gears can be cut that run without fitting and use standard gear cutters.

The best explanation of this I have seen is in American Machinist gear Book which can be viewed here. http://www.archive.org/stream/americ.../n148/mode/1up Page 131 shows a section of the standard bevel gears and P144 shows the parallel form.

Steve Larner
    Last edited by SDL; 07-24-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Sure do thank all the guys who wrote on this thread to help me learn more about bevel gears and how they are cut. BEN

Quote Originally Posted by SDL

The Pentz Parallel Depth Gear is different in that the pitch diameter is the same as in the above but the addendum and dedendum are to tapered to the same centre as the pitch line but barrel to it. this means that gears can be cut that run without fitting and use standard gear cutters.
    Interesting... I seem to have re-invented the Pentz type..... I cut some gears on that principle a while back, and even made a fixture for it....

My copy of the Gear Book does not have that section, although it does cover bevel gears.

J. Tiers:
    Would you happen to have a picture or sketch of your "fixture" for cutting the bevel gears that you could share with us here?
    Thanks. BEN