Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexible indicator holder

Default Flexible indicator holder

I'm fed up with messing with my articulating arm indicator holder...using it is like pushing a rop (uphill)....

I just need a good firm flex holder and I know that's a simple item and there all over the place but...

Reccomendations?

In the way of magnetic base indicator holders I like the Noga over the Starrett "Flex-o-Post". The Starrett never really feels tight, the Noga locks up tight enough to try a chin-up. If you get one get the one with the fine adjust.

On the mill I favor the Indicol. The joints are easily set to appropriate tension so you can get the indicator where you need it without a whole lot of repositioning because of over or under shooting the position.

In this sort of tooling quality really shows.

I made a handy holder from coolant hose. I took a section of the linked hose and used the threaded link to put a magnet at one end for a base and drilled out one of the nozzles just a bit smaller than the stem on one of my indicators for a nice tight friction fit. Works like a charm. Easy to put it in almost any position.

I will try to post a picture later.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Thanks to both of you for the replies and yes I'd like to see the pics of the coolant hose solution. I use the larger "Loc-Line" hose for woodworking dust collection on my drill press and a couple other machines.

I'm just a hobby guy and the Loc-Line would probably be all I need.

Noga = lowest frustration level. Priceless.

I have a Noga (and many others). yep.. IMHO.. the best. I tried a few cheap import segmented types -they never were "rigid enough"... and had a nasty habit of dropping my indicators in a heap when I released them.

To assist on both the Noga and others, I have several "adjusting" devices to get the last 20 -50 thou.

+1 Noga. The Starrett and Flexbar arms are OK, but the Noga is better.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53
    I have a Noga (and many others). yep.. IMHO.. the best. I tried a few cheap import segmented types -they never were "rigid enough"... and had a nasty habit of dropping my indicators in a heap when I released them.

To assist on both the Noga and others, I have several "adjusting" devices to get the last 20 -50 thou.
    I'd like to see some of the adjusting devices. I like the single point locking mechanisms but the "c" shape adjuster on the cheapo's works better than the adjuster on mine.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I made a handy holder from coolant hose. I took a section of the linked hose and used the threaded link to put a magnet at one end for a base and drilled out one of the nozzles just a bit smaller than the stem on one of my indicators for a nice tight friction fit. Works like a charm. Easy to put it in almost any position.

I will try to post a picture later.
    Hi Paul,
    I tried this and it was way too flimsy with the flexible link hose with 1/2 O.D -- import. With the full 12" it would barely hold the weight of a DTI. A drop dial indicator was way too heavy. I took links out down to six inches and cut a 1" piece of M8 threaded rod which threaded right in to the threaded adapter on the hose (lucky me). Then I mounted it to the base and even at 6" in length, any pressure on the tip of even the DTI moved the flex line.

What was the O.D. of the flex hose you used? Was it any particular brand or generic import?

I have 2 Fexbar flexible arms, 2 Noga flexible arms and 3 Noga magnetic bases. Guess which ones are never used.