Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on motor for mill

Question Need advice on motor for mill

I bought a little Barker horizontal mill last week. It's the AM model, and in great condition. The trouble is it's 3-phase. Simple to change out the motor, but am I better off getting a new single phase motor, or going with a static phase converter, or VFD?. Cheapest new motors I've found are about $200.00 for a 1 1/2HP. Original motor is 2hp. I've got outlets for both 110V & 220v where this is going to go. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Jim
    EDIT: pic
    Last edited by IdahoJim; 08-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    The best Ebay search method:
    http://www.itemalarm.com/aid/9/

VFD and set it at 60 cycles, do not use the variable speed. If possible find a motor that is rated for inverter duty.

Goodness! A 2 hp motor on a little Barker! That seems way overkill.

This little Barker I had was dead stock out of the factory (it had a slight altercation with hurricane Katrina) and as you can see the original motor is a pure plain jane 1/2 hp GE, could've came off a washing machine...

It cleaned up really nice, I just couldnt find a use for it and eventually sold it

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

The AM is 2 HP from the factory. It's slightly bigger than the AM. Let's see pictures. Bill thanks for the inspiration on the PM. Mine looks similar to your befores and it did not go through Katrina. Yours turned out nice. So far all I have done is got all axis movable after being gummed up with brass chips and lube. I am curious to see how my table cleans up. ;-) it's my first attempt and a machine resurrection.

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by DFMiller; 08-01-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Default Added pic to OP

I added a pic to the orginal post...thanks
    Jim

VFD and use the variable speed. You don't need an inverter duty motor in order to vary the frequency.

Dr Stan Guest

I tend to agree with the other posters that 2 HP is overkill. Replacing it with a 3/4 or at the most 1 HP single phase makes more sense to me.

Id get a cheap VFD to run it, you should be able to get a 2hp for like $150
    Should run smoother on a VFD and you can vary the speed if needed for larger diamiter cutters, or incress it for carbide...

2hp sounds like a lot for such a tiny machine, but it does have the overarm support that adds a LOT of rigidity.

From what I have read, even small horzontal mills can REALLY eat steel, especialy with that overarm support.

Alternatively.. If you happen to have a lathe with a 2hp 1phase motor.. maybe a swap is in order

There might even be somewhere here thats local to you that would be willing to trade a 2hp 1phase for 3phase, if you really wanna go that route. Or check craigslist..

Jim,
    That's a sweet looking machine. It looks like it has feed screws on all axis. I would think a VFD would be worth it. Or if you don't want to got to the trouble I will swap mills. ;-)
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DFMiller
    Jim,
    That's a sweet looking machine. It looks like it has feed screws on all axis. I would think a VFD would be worth it. Or if you don't want to got to the trouble I will swap mills. ;-)
    Dave
    Thanks, Dave...it is in great condition....very little backlash on Y & Z....the X axis is a lever feed. I may look into the parts for converting that. I understand Barker is still in business, but parts are probably spendy.
    Jim