Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box turning tool ???

Default Box turning tool ???

A friend gave me small box full of lathe toolbits a while back. Today I was cleaning out a drawer and uncovered them. There a half dozen bits that are marked "Micro 100 BT- 4 thru 7. I spent a little time looking on the web and then the KBCTools catalog and could only come up with a name, nothing on How to use them. Can any one tell me any thing about them. Which side is up or how they are used?
    Thanks Mel

A box turning tool is typically used on a turret lathe, and it holds a stubby lathe tool along with appropriate follow rollers to keep things on track.

Here's a dark image from Wikipedia:

Last edited by Frank Ford; 08-03-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

The tool bit maybe used in a vertical position, so do not consider it as a normal Lathe tool would approach the work piece

Default box tool

End of tool is the cutting part point of v is cutting edge and v is where chip curls out. Pic is out of W&S turret lathe book and does not show that deep of
    chip breaker.

Jim

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like I will have no need for them. I was hoping to find a way to use them.. If any one has a use for them send me a PM and I'll send them to ya. There are 2 of the #8 and 6 of the #6's four of them still have the wax protector tips on them.
    Thanks again

oldbikerdude37 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ford
    A box turning tool is typically used on a turret lathe, and it holds a stubby lathe tool along with appropriate follow rollers to keep things on track.

Here's a dark image from Wikipedia:

yes box tools can turn long thin parts. think of it as a turning tool on a Tailstock (endworking tool) with a built on follower rest. thats what a box tool is.

lugnut,

You might consider making the box tool to utilize them. Look at www.downrivertools.com. I'm just starting one from his drawings and a couple of the balance tools.
    "I am often asked how radio works. Well, you see, wire telegraphy is like a very long cat. You yank his tail in New York and he meows in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Now, radio is exactly the same, except that there is no cat." : Albert Einstein

Default They headed for CA

I just sent the tools to Jim. Thanks for all the replys and help.

They are called tangential turning tools.They can be used on centre lathes and others if you make a holder.
    Mark.