Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Adjust Indicator Holder

Default Zero Adjust Indicator Holder

I am making one of these units

http://homemetalshopclub.org/project...old/hldr1.html

and have been looking for the Shear-Loc Knobs called for in the instructions. They are only about .15 each BUT come in packages of 100 pcs. Proably more than I need! So I got to thinking that if anyone wanted to make one of these holders I would throw the Shear-Loc Knobs in an enbelope and send them out.

OTOH someone may know where to get one each of the three sizes called for.

Let me know if you are interested.

Errol Groff

Default Yup

My local Tru-Value has them, you can get one at a time. If you have a local Applied Industrial outlet, or a Fastenall, they're a good shot, too. Seems like one of the mailorder outfits sells an assortment, with different sizes and colors. Check the Enco and MSC catalogs, or online.

TC

I bought one from Shars - maybe $15(?) - but the thing had a 1/8" wobble in the instrument mounting-block as the main adjustment knob was turned. Back it went; the replacement only had a 1/16" wobble - I kept it, but with the notion of ultimately making my own. And here you come

But I'm lazy - I don't want to file the dovetail for the instrument mount - but where to find such a tiny dovetail cutter?

Default Dovetail

tlf
    Time to locate a friend with a shaper.

JRW

I made one of those holders a couple of years back. I made all the knobs and they where part of the learning process. the tool works great, I use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by J. R. Williams
    tlf
    Time to locate a friend with a shaper.

JRW
    Ah - the obvious has escaped me: the dovetail is small enough that a lathe-cross-slide could perform shaper duty.

Well now, time to mull this over ...

I make small knobs like this with a socket head cap screw. Just take a piece of brass rod the size you want the finished knob to be and knurl it, drill a hole for the threads to slip through. Then drill a hole (to depth of the head of the cap screw) the same diam. as the head of the cap screw as measured below the knurled portion of the screw and part off. When you press the screw into the brass(just use your vice), you are done! Takes about 10 minuites to make one or about 5 minites each when making multiples.

Default Indicator holder

I have also made one of these a while ago. Although the plan calls for Shear-Loc knobs, I like the feel of knurled metal. I ended up making them out of mild steel after an unsuccessful search. As for the dovetail, I ended up tilting the indicator holder at a 30 degree angle in my mill vise and used a very small cutter (1/16") to finish the dovetail. This was a project that I had wanted to do for a while as I questioned the quality of the bargain units. This is something I use almost daily. You will not regret making one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I added brass knobs (shop made) and called it quits for today.

http://neme-s.org/images/Zero%20Adjust.jpg

Errol Groff

That looks great Errol! I bet you will enjoy the heck out of it.