Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Swing Up Threading Tool

Default My Swing Up Threading Tool

The post that Sir John made last December about his Swing Up Treading Tool stuck in my mind. So when it became time to thread the neck of the ER collet chuck I built this week, I made a temporary version of it. Along with the ability to instant reverse my little lathe, and it's variable speed capability (the Treadmill motor) the tool worked great.
    So yesterday I rebuilt the tool and thought I would share some photos of it with you.
    I used a threading tool bit holder that I've had for some time. Cut it off and drilled a hole for the guide pin and one for the pivot pin.

I used one of my tool holders for the mount, Added a little light duty spring to assure the cutter would drop into place.

Tool uses carbide tips that I have several of. Now I'm not afraid of treading any more. I only wish I didn't have to change them damn gears to do it.

Nice job, changing gears is a hassle.
    It's only ink and paper

Thumbs up Good One!

Thanks for posting Mel.

Could you give more info on the toolholder and inserts? Brand, where available etc.

Is the hole for the spring loaded guide pin angled back or just a loose fit to allow the guide pin to tilt back as it lifts up?

Nice job.

Rgds
    Michael

Australia

Miker, the tool is from Grizzly part number G7030 and bits are # G7041 here is a link the page http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/618
    the hole is a slot about 3.4mm wide and about 7.5 mm long. This allow the tool to move up with out rubbing the guide pin. I used a shouldered screw so that it could be tightened and not interfere with the action yet maintain a close fit.
    hope this answers your questions.
    Mel

Thanks for the extra info Mel.

As the tool is only secured by the pivot bolt at the end,
    is there any tendency for the tool tip to move side to side?
    Maybe the guide pin towards the front takes care of this!

Rgds
    Michael

Australia

oldbikerdude37 Guest

Anyone who can thread wont go this way, it may work for some but if it were in a shop where I have to work it would have flung in the scrap pile and let it return as a rong fu mill. thats a worthless idea for guys who smoke too many bowls of ganga.

Default Swinging threading tools.

My didn't we get up on the wrong side of the bed.

I think Sir John probably knows how to thread.

This is a very interesting concept for those who have a lathe that is constructed such that it can be used. It is well up on my to do list.

If you want to trash the idea that is fine. I am going to try it if I don't like it then It may just set on the shelf with many other things that don't get used ever day but have use in certain situations.

I thought the earlier discussion of the retractable threading tool was one of the best posts on this forum. It was a little more complicated project than I want to try at this time. As my machining dexterity improves, I may make one of those also.

This concept for those with the right equipment is fast and never releases the half nuts. Part of the first discussion was the implementation of the key. We have now seen a couple of variants shown on this site. I have a couple more that I want to try and will post when finished.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Boucher

I think Sir John probably knows how to thread.
    Talking of which, where is he?
    I tried to drop him a PM but his mailbox is full.

Rigger.

Smile

Nice one,, Mel. I must make one some day.
    Ahem... re your little wise saying, it's "e" before "p" in except.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikerdude37
    Anyone who can thread wont go this way, it may work for some but if it were in a shop where I have to work it would have flung in the scrap pile and let it return as a rong fu mill. thats a worthless idea for guys who smoke too many bowls of ganga.
    Most people that have tried the "swing up" threading method have found that it works very well. My experience is on my website:
    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/swin...ol-holder.html
    Mike