Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AXA vs. BXA

Default AXA vs. BXA

I am in the process of buying some tooling for my lathes, looking at the Aloris type quick change tool sets.

I have a Sheldon with a 10" swing, and a South Bend 9C, which is a 9" swing.

Of course the South Bend requires the AXA set, for a 6-12" swing. The BXA, with its minimum of 10" will work on the Sheldon. Presently I have a hodge podge of the lantern type tool posts for both machines, but have gotten spoiled over the years by the quick change stuff.

You can get the tool post and 5 toolholders in sets, planned on getting the AXA set for the South Bend. I am thinking I will go ahead and get two sets, one for each machine.

But I am also wondering if I would be better off to go with the BXA set for the Sheldon. Interchangeable tooling is the advantage of staying with both AXA sets, although the center height is different for each. I was just wondering if it would be better to go with the BXA set for the second set since it is a little heavier. I have lots of 3/4" boring bars in the shop, which I understand will work with both sets, but 3/4" is on the upper end of the AXA capabilies.

Once upon a time I had debated selling the South Bend, still may, but right now I figure it might be handy to keep two lathes in the shop.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? Thanks.

BXA's 10" min depends on your lathe center height, Its almost too big for my 12" swing lath. what you should really do is measure the height from your compound top to the center of the spindle (or a center in the tailstock works too)

Then we can tell you if a BXA will even fit.

I am using an AXA on both a 9" South Bend and a 14" Le Blond. The Le Blond swings 15 1/4". They work fine on both and the tool holders are interchangeable. (The setting of the height location nut is different.) Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

I have an 11" Logan and an AXA is a little too small but usable and the BXA is a little too big.
    I use the AXA most of the time but I have some large tooling where I use the BXA.
    Get the AXA for starters, I think it will work fine on both.
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

BXA ...Its almost too big for my 12" swing lathe
    Mine too......
    I have a 12" swing lathe, and the tool holders are nearly bottomed-out when I mount them in the toolpost.

Go with the AXA. Better suited for the size of lathe that you have.
    Plus as an added benefit, you will be able to interchange tool holders
    from one to the other.
    As others have said, the BXA will be more trouble then it is worth( been
    there done that).
    JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Even though the Sheldon has a 10" swing, from the top of the compound to center it is only 1.125" at best. That seems short to me, so sounds like AXA will probably be the ticket. Thanks for the input!

The center height is different but that's no big deal.
    Make a riser block under the holder on the larger lathe so the tools will be on the same height for both. One size fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by toolmaker76
    ... looking at the Aloris type quick change tool sets.
    I found that by choosing the Dorian style QCTP, I was able to fit a larger
    toolpost to the machine than otherwise would have been possible. This in
    turn made it feasible to accept larger tool holders. The larger tool holders
    accept larger inserts. There seems to be a better selection of discounted
    inserts in larger (ie: commercial) sizes.

A key factor permitting a larger Dorian QCTP is that the Dorian tool holder
    has the channel that receives the tool shank offset towards the bottom
    of the tool holder. An Aloris QCTP has its channel roughly in the center
    of the tool holder.

To better see the difference, study the center height values for the
    Dorian in their catalog
    - there is an illustration on pg 9 and figures
    on pg 10.

Then compare these to the equivalent dimensions on an Aloris to judge
    whether there is any advantage to choosing the Dorian style for your
    purposes.

I fitted a BXA size holder to a 9x20 that I had, mainly because an AXA size would have been dwarfed by the width of the cross slide but also because I had a number of larger tools (5/8" square) left over from using a 4 way post. I solved the vertical adjustment problem by grinding 1/4" off the bottom of the holder dovetails and that enabled the holder to sit lower when needed.
    I firmly believe that all other things being equal, bigger is better (less deflection, more rigidity) so my preference would be for a BXA holder rather than the AXA. You can hold a 1/4" square tool in a BXA holder if you need to but from memory an AXA stops at 1/2".
    Michael