Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - View inside the A380 office

PeteF Guest

Default OT - View inside the A380 office

As much as I'm not keen on constant OT threads, I know there are a lot of people here who are also interested in aviation, so thought some may be interested in this.

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

Pete

I'm getting a "Loading failed".

Maybe you can answer a question. The 380 and many others fly directly over us every day. The 380 is LOUD in cruise flight. It's much louder than other aircraft such as the 747-400. Sometimes when it shows up it almost produces a sonic boom. I have heard many sonic booms from high flying aircraft as when I was a teen we lived under the flight path of the test flights of the XB-70. The 380 will announce it self with a sudden loud rumble that sounds like it is just under mach 1.

Have you heard anything about this?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

somewhere in downstate chicago-tax-us-to-death

So...it flies with a video joy stick? Must be for these kids that grew up with one in their hands. I like the panic grab handle by the window, is that the emergency exit?
    Interesting show though. I know I wouldn't want the responsibility of that job!
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Nice , so it's a cockpit if men are flying so is it a cuntpit if women are flying it.
    It's only ink and paper

PeteF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I'm getting a "Loading failed".

Maybe you can answer a question. The 380 and many others fly directly over us every day. The 380 is LOUD in cruise flight. It's much louder than other aircraft such as the 747-400. Sometimes when it shows up it almost produces a sonic boom. I have heard many sonic booms from high flying aircraft as when I was a teen we lived under the flight path of the test flights of the XB-70. The 380 will announce it self with a sudden loud rumble that sounds like it is just under mach 1.

Have you heard anything about this?
    G'day Evan, how did you tell it's an A380 producing the sound? I didn't think there was too many flying in to North America and I was trying to imagine who would be flying over you and where they'd be going.

I fly the A330 which is reasonably similar on the flight deck (as are all Airbus by design) and we're slower than the 747. I think the A380 cruises around M0.85 which is similar to the 747, so all well below M1.0

On approach the A380 is very quiet, typically each generation of engine becomes both more efficient and quieter. So the bottom line is I haven't heard anything about this and am very surprised.

Krutch, yes it flies with a sidestick, it seems odd but doesn't take long to get used to it. The main thing is it takes minute control inputs so it's easy to over-control at first. The handle by the window is different on the A330, ours it opens the window, it does look like an alternative emergency exit on the A380. I seem to recall it's part of the certification process to have at least 2 exits available, the door is one, and the windows would be another.

Pete

This is disgusting. I'm still trying to learn ViaCad !!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

G'day Evan, how did you tell it's an A380 producing the sound? I didn't think there was too many flying in to North America and I was trying to imagine who would be flying over you and where they'd be going.
    We live under the main route to Europe. Williams lake is the navigation point to set up for approach into Vancouver as we have a VORTAC located here as well as a runway that can handle anything that flies in an emergency. Our runway is a little over 7000 feet but with the very well maintained overruns it is nearly 14,000 feet.

Vancouver is fully equipped to handle the 380. The main clue that it is a 380 is the contrails. The 380 leaves 4 distinct contrails that do not merge for a very long distance behind the aircraft. The schedule is two flights per day, one east to west at about 3 to 4 pm with another about 30 minutes later heading east from Vancouver. It would appear that gate 43 has just been cleared for the incoming flight based on the time differences. That will also ensure that the airport doesn't experience an overload of passengers since one 380 full will have just left before the next arrives.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

PeteF Guest

Ok, I've only flown into Vancouver once, though spent 3 months there, so I'm not familiar with the airspace, but can picture where you are. If it's that close to arrivals/departures you're talking about I can't imagine the noise is any trans-sonic effect. I'll try to grab some charts and work out roughly what speed they'd be doing around where you are, but I'd imagine less than 250 kts if below 10,000 ft. Even though I also hold a Canadian commercial licence I can't recall the restrictions there off the top of my head sorry.

Do you know who regularly flies an A380 into YVR? SQ?

They are still at cruising altitude here. Straight line distance to Vancouver is about 350 kilometres.

Operators could be Air France and Lufthansa.
    Last edited by Evan; 08-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.

PeteF Guest

Ok, well sorry then no idea what the sound is then. Occasionally I bump into "official" Airbus people and will keep your question in mind for them. I know the aircraft is SUPER quiet inside though!