Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Simple Drawing Program

Default Suggestions for Simple Drawing Program

Today, when I read a recent post by Byron Boucher regarding drawings of projects an old question came to mind. Currently, I use pencil, paper, ruler & template to make drawings of the simple projects I undertake. While I am amazed at the incredible displays produced by many here with 3D Cad programs and even 2D programs I must admit that I am either too lazy or too computer illiterate to learn the intricacies of these terrific tools. So, with that in mind can anyone suggest a simple, low cost, easy to use computer program that can be used in place of my current old school sketch methods. Basically I just want to be able to draw simple shapes and include dimensions so when I take the drawing to the shop I can work from it. The goal would be to have a neater drawing that I currently use with the ability to store it digitally and have it take no more time than I currently spend to draw using my old school methods. I have attempted to use the Paint program included with Windows but find it extremely lacking for what I have in mind.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

A program that was originally designed for the Amiga that runs on windoze and is intuitive and is easy to use is called "page stream". Although originally designed as a desk top editing program it is easy to draw with. You can demo it, go to grasshopperllc.com

I use AutoCAD but Sketchup isn't too bad for a free program...

Here's a link for the download:

http://sketchup.google.com/#utm_camp...hUp%20download

oldbikerdude37 Guest

All I have now is google Sketchup.its fine. the price is right.

wow firbikrhd1 has been a member a long time.

"Doublecad" is another freebie that you can download. It is designed to be a sort of Autocad LT clone.

I decided to give sketchup a try, and found this page of very simple explanations of how to use it and I found the video's effective enough to get me started playing and not frustrated.

http://sketchup.google.com/training/...ew_to_gsu.html

back in the 90's i used to use a program called drafix to create 2d drawings as dxf files to cross load to cnc machinery. the program was later bought by autodesk and renamed autosketch. the current version is $250, but just a few months ago i bought the previous version from an ebay seller for $29 + $3 shipping. it works just as i remember and i find it easier to use than an autocad (or clone). it appears that there are still several for sale in the $30~ish range on ebay.

I use Delta Cad, $39.95 from this link:

Delta Cad

Relatively intuitive, even after not using it for quite some time I can pick it up a draw something. I've never been able to devote enough time to learn Autocad.

Jeff

There is no such thing as a easy drawing program. It is a learned skill just like anything else including drawing with paper and pencil just takes a bit of reading.

I've been trying to learn ViaCAd. I have version 6 but there is a version 7 available for $79.00

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Books-_-286668
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.