Thread: Welding Stainless with TIG

Default Welding Stainless with TIG

I've got one of the cheap Harbor Fright DC TIG welders and need to fix a couple cracks in the stainless exhaust system on my car. I can't find the manual, not that that would help any, but do I use the same configuration of the leads as I would for carbon steel? For some reason I thought that I would reverse + and -.

Same polarity as carbon steel.

Default SS Tig polarity

SS tig will have the electrode negative. DCEN.

If your are asking about carbon steel and tig it would be the same.

I'm old school enough that I still use stick for a lot of steel process's, most likely 'cause I obtained hundreds of pounds of stick rod free, and commonly for the stick process the electrode will be positive, DCEP.

see here for more info:
    http://www.thefabricator.com/article...ten-electrodes

If you haven't done much tig I would practice on a salvage yard pipe before I would attack my car's system.
    Don't know if it is practical to remove the exhaust system before welding, but some things that are a snap flat can be a real trial when welded in position.
    Good luck
    Paul

I concur with ironmonger on practicing first. Thin SS is more easily holed than carbon steel. At least it is for me.

Thanks guys, I definitely plan on practicing first, and hopefully I can find some free scraps at a muffler shop or cheap from a junk yard. I hope I can do it in place without removing the exhaust. This car is a 2000 BMW M5 and the dual exhaust is one piece from the headers to the tailpipes, weighs a couple hundred pounds and is a real bear to get out and in.

I'm no welding expert but, most muffler and exaust in stainless is type 409 SS.
    Most info says you should use 309L filler rather that the standard 308L.
    FWIW

gnm109 Guest

With welding on the outside only, you stand a chance of getting oxidatoin (sugaring) inside of your weld. It's OK if you don't burn through but if that happens, you will have a mess.

Ordinarily, welding SS pipes should be done with an argon purge inside of the pipe to prevent this.

Without the possibiity of back purge since the exhaust wil be on the car, just go slow and don't use max. heat.

And get it as clean as possible in prep.......
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Do it with the engine running to purge, preheat, and post heat all-in-one.