Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns as an excuse

Heres my current project. I am building up an old relic Winchester 1873..This will be a .22 rifle when I finish..A hundred years ago it was a .32-20
    And heres what it looked like before Tig welding to fill pocks and recontour the front end and then lots of file and sandpaper work

Front edge was rusted away to a wire edge...Lot of work to bring that area back to original condition....Again my point is that gunsmithing hobby is the excuse to use practically every tool in the hobby metalsworking shop...

Nice work I look forward to seeing the finished product. Give us a few installments along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter cat
    Nice work I look forward to seeing the finished product. Give us a few installments along the way.
    I will...Aww, I see youre an Arkie too Scattercat..I am down in Bismarck area..I might know you or somebody who knows you and vice-versa.

Very Nice work. I would have given up on that Winchester. It's been humbling and inspiring to see your writeups on Homegunsmith.

I loved your pic of reaming a chamber with the bit brace on Homegunsmith. Have you considered cross-posting that pic to benchrest central or 6mmbr.com?

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    you must have the patients of a saint . nice, no, beautiful work.

Did he survive?

Hello Pogo
    Homegunsmith was real good group for a long while wasnt it? Still my favorite forum but I doubt its ever again gonna be like it was, too many of the talented guys have gone elsewhere..
    Thats funny about the brace and bit picture and your suggestion- I wouldnt even poke my nose into a group centered around benchrest accuracy.. I am into plinkers , antiques and nostagia .....When I finish a gun and it loads , fires and extracts, looks good and dont blow up in my face I call it good and stick it in the safe and start something else..

As for the old rusty 1873 receiver...I have 5 of those receivers.. Will build that formerly rusty one into a .22 and then I'll build another or all of them if my enthusiasm continues...I have barrels I bought for another project that I didnt end up doing..Would like to use those barrels before I quit fooling with antique guns and turn to a gas engine project.If I did all of them one would be a .22, one a .32-20, a .38 special, a .44 special , and a .45 Colt ....I have slight ambition to try cowboy action shooting for which a couple of those would be good.... I dunno..

I finished the .22 that I built using that terribly rusted old bare neckid Winchester 1873 receiver...Barrel is off a Ruger 10-22.Tube magazine is from a Marlin ...trigger and couple of the springs are authentic 1873 pieces..I made everything else..Good little shooter.

You did a very nice job on the old Winchester!

Quote Originally Posted by Robdiesel.707
    You did a very nice job on the old Winchester!
    Thanks..It was worse than anything I ever worked on, I am happy it turned out well as it did,..

I have a Winchester model 65 I'll show here in a bit- it was Bubba-ed when I traded for it 33 years ago...I finally got around to turning it into a usable rifle.