Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you buy tools from Sears?

airsmith282 Guest

i bought some sockets and other tools at sears before very dissipointed so now i buy grey jet mastercraft husky and stanely
    all my snap on stuff was free i wont pay for snap on way over priced

At least at H-F you know it's chinese, I bought an 88pc Wheeler gunsmithing bit set(just the bits) for about $80. Called Midway & a few other gun accessory places & everyone said it was made in the US. I paid about $85 for it, a lot for a small box of bit for me. When I got it it had a tiny sricker on the bottom of the outer boc that said China. I called them up & after 10 minutes of sidestepping the question they finally admitted they moved production offshore 2 years ago. I buy some things at harbor freight & don't have a problem because I know it's chinese & I chose to buy chinese but I thought this was unethical because none of their dealers knew about them moving offshore 2 years before. I made it a crusade to call anyone I knew that sold their product from Amazon on up & they are marketed & own a dozen or so brands & ask where they were made & when they said the US I told them the whole truth. One day their sale manager called & chewed me up one side & done the other saying it was legal the way they did it. I agree it may be legal but it was also unethical in my opinion. I have thr bits in our livingroom & will probably never use them & nothing is marked china. I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank you!

Re: Airsmiths post about NEVER buying anything "Snap On",, come on surely you,d buy Snap On tools if you found them at a yard sale???

Couple of my mechanic friends tell me that some of Snap On is now being manufactured off shore, i,m sure this is just a begining with more of Snap On being made in China, OR Taiwan or where ever, they're going to have to go off shore to compete.

I bought 3 new Snap On ratchets in the last year and not one says USA on them. That being said These new ones are the best Snap On ratchets I have ever owned, and I have more than 15 Snap On ratchets. They have an 80 tooth ratchet so they require little effort to move, they are sealed and they have torx head screws instead of the old slot head screws holding them together.

My favorite ratchet and the one I grab out of the tool box every day is the Matco 88 tooth locking flex head. I have that ratchet in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives. The only problem is at $132 for a 3/8" drive they are probably not on the shopping list of the typical HF/ Sears dweller.
    Last edited by Mark Hockett; 07-16-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Mark Hockett

My parents gave me a VW bug when I was 16 and a box of tools to work on it. They were mostly Craftsman, and the only ones that don’t still work are the ones I lost. I have since bought many hand tools there and will most likely buy more if I am need of them.

What I find humorous in this thread is SO MANY people want harbor freight prices but NASA quality. The fact that HF thrives is why Sears is going down. The vast majority of people care about one thing …. PRICE.

How many people will gladly pay $5 for something “1/2 as good” as a $20 version sold elsewhere? (50% of the quality for 25% the price WHAT A DEAL!!) Apparently too damn many, or we would not have the problems with crap tools and offshore everything that exist now. All the whining about how they sold out is the fault of those that buy for price instead of quality. I am not saying that quality and cost are always linked, but more often than not it is a good indicator.

When there is no market for reasonable priced, decent quality items because the market is flooded with dirt cheap crap items that sell, people stop making and selling the decent quality. We reap what we sow.

I still think it's pure greed of the company. They don't lower the price when they go offshore. They just put more profit in their pocket. Pure & simple. That's why they don't want anyone knowing about it. They want to buy it at HF cost & sell it at American made prices.

I am glad I have enough OLD Craftsman wrenches. Apparently the ones they are selling now are softer,at least according to most guys on the PM forum.

Even the old ones,especially the smaller ones,like 3/8" wrenches can be sprung. I have sprung a few of them trying to get the gib screws loosened on woodworking jointers and planers.

Bob,sorry,I was joking,but after re reading it didn't come off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    Couple of my mechanic friends tell me that some of Snap On is now being manufactured off shore,
    As far as I know, Snap-on is all or mostly American made. The Blue-Point stuff is imported, but made to Snap-on specs.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by toyjeep73
    What I find humorous in this thread is SO MANY people want harbor freight prices but NASA quality. The fact that HF thrives is why Sears is going down. The vast majority of people care about one thing …. PRICE.
    The vast majority of people were sold the lie of "false equivalence"......

"It's just the exact same thing, but selling for less here".

Walmart "sold" that idea, all the time knowing and intending "it" to be a cheap knockoff (even if "made for" the brand owner but in china).

People are always going for a deal...... Even right here on the forum.... "I know its china junk, but I don't need good quality".... Ok, you won't get the choice, before long.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelloug
    Makita and Bosch both at least have some power tools made in the U.S.

--Cameron
    Bosch closed there last power tool plant in the US years ago. All their chorded tools are made in China. They may still be making battery tools in Mexico.

(Retired Bosch Power Tool Employee)