Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bending 3/4" 304 stainless plate

It would be nice if you could find a 30" length of 6' diameter 3/4" wall thickness 304 pipe in your local scrapyard...

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B
    It would be nice if you could find a 30" length of 6' diameter 3/4" wall thickness 304 pipe in your local scrapyard...
    A weldment is probably a better approach. Even bent hot, that's a massive bender.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I dunno. When I was an apprentice and my employer had a real boiler shop I watched the boilermaker flange (bend in a press brake) steam drums 4 ft dia 16 ft long out of 1 1/4" boler plate. This was the shell plate. The tube sheet, I undertand was forged hot but I didn't see that part. The tube sheet was 3 1/4" thick and had hundreds of steam tube holes driilled and reamed in a dense array.

A 1200 PSI Navy propulsion boiler is complex as hell. It's made up of several drums fabricated from flat steel plate. This is one of 4 boilers for a 120,000 HP Naval ship propulsion plant. Base load coal plant boilers are 100 times this size and operate at 4 times the working pressure.

Flangeing up a 30" square of 3/4 stainless plate is small change technically on the scale of such things but it has to be done right with suitable equipment if it is to be done economically with minimum waste..
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 10-04-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks for the help guys, At least for this portion of the job, Ill be passing...
    Justin Anderson
    Fortynine Industries