Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT sorta - Dakota spare tire holder

Default OT sorta - Dakota spare tire holder

Does anyone have a good idea for an in the bed spare tire mount? I just had the wonderful experience of using the spare tire from my Dakota. From what I have heard, it is similar in "design" to those used in most late model PU's. Must have been dreamed up by the offspring of the "engineer" who put the AC compressor on top of the distributor in my 80's Chevette.

I've made mounts similar to this http://www.jcwhitney.com/universal-s...29&zmap=22225G but am looking for some good ideas.

Thanks,

Stan

In addition to having AAA coverage, I carry a small air compressor in each vehicle to get a tire inflated in an emergency. I'm past the age where I want to deal with changing a tire on my truck.

I made a mount similar to the JCW item in a truck I used to own, and it was in the same location. I left a couple inches under the bottom of the tire so I could still load several sheets of 4x8 material flat in the bed. The clearance also made it easier to keep the corner clear of leaves and dirt without having to remove the tire. That's the place where the tire is least likely to interfere with visibility when changing lanes or backing up.

gnm109 Guest

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota. While it is inconvenient, the spare tire mount does at least have a jack. I've had several other pickups that had the tire underneath the rear bumper like the Dakota but no jack mechanism.

I have a separate bed liner but if the inside of your bed is stock, it would be simple to bolt or weld a piece of say 1/4" X 2" bar or angle iron from the floor to a place under the lip on left or right at the rear. You could weld a nut inside and use a bolt and washer to hold the wheel to the bar upright. I did that on an earlier Dodge Van after the first wheel was stolen from the rear door where the factory put it.

Or, you could do the redneck method. Just toss the wheel in the bed and put a chain and lock around it. I've done that as well. although I can't qualify for redneck status since I'm married to a genetically-unrelated female and I have all of my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by gnm109
    Or, you could do the redneck method. Just toss the wheel in the bed and put a chain and lock around it. I've done that as well. although I can't qualify for redneck status since I'm married to a genetically-unrelated female and I have all of my teeth.
    I'm seriously considering doing just that.

Winchman,

I also have AAA and have carried a small compressor ever since many "gas stations" no longer have compressed air.

My bed is covered with a spray on liner (Line-X) so welding is out of the question. Guess I need to cogitate on this for a while.

Thanks,

Stan

Maybe you could make the support with a padded piece at the top to lock under the upper side rail of the bed and a foot plate and rubber pad at the bottom. The foot plate would be on a separate piece so you could force the ends of the support apart to compress the rubber pad under the foot plate before tightening the bolts.

Is there a tiedown in the bed? You could run a strap from the tiedown to the bed rail behind the tire to help hold it against the side of the bed.

Clamps normally used for holding a camper shell to the bed rail might be useful, too.

Get a set of four, use three to hold the support, and use the fourth for the strap anchor.
    Last edited by winchman; 10-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Here's a revelation. You got a spare under the bed of the truck. It is easy to get down, UNLESS you have a flat and need it. The jackhandle that lowers it is widespread.

SOOOO.

If someone is going to steal it, they WILL steal it, before it gets rusted into place.

Better you throw it in the back of the truck where you can use it if you need it.

Cheers,

George

Once upon a time, Chevy and I think Dodge had the tire mounted in a swing up door on the side of the bed right behind the cab and Ford had a tool box tucked into the right side under the bed. Perfect use for the spaces, Why they went away from useful ideas is beyond me. I mean if the newer kids on the block have found ways to add storage in the tailgate area (Honda) and better bed tie-downs (Nisson) then they surely can return tried and true ideas from the past.
    My dream truck bed would feature the side mount tire, under bed side tool box(I miss my old F-150), proper tie-downs to the frame and storage in the tailgate for tie-down straps. I like the new Dodge side box in the top of the bed rail thing ,but do not think it would work with a cover or cap. with the spare mounted on the side there would be room for a larger fuel tank so as not to need dual tanks.

If it's a C-47, just inside the cargo door, if it's a DC-3, behind the back seat infront of the toilet

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    If it's a C-47, just inside the cargo door, if it's a DC-3, behind the back seat infront of the toilet

Regards Ian.
    One option I've considered is putting the spare in a tire cover and then behind the seat in the cab extension.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatov
    Here's a revelation. You got a spare under the bed of the truck. It is easy to get down, UNLESS you have a flat and need it. The jackhandle that lowers it is widespread.
    It also reminds me of the "engineer" who put a V-8 in the Chevy Monza. Had to remove the tranny mount, loosen the engine mounts and jack up the front of the engine to change out the rear spark plugs. Same thing happened with a model year of the Vette.