Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google has locked me out of HMEM

Quote Originally Posted by kc5ezc
    Dennis: I'd like to take the action you recommend, but I just do not know how. Found it! Who knew?
    Also tried the cut and paste of the url. Still takes me to the Google box; and the ignore button doesn't seem to work.
    Thanks guys for trying to help a neophyte. I guess I need a 'wiki' on what to do.

UPDATE HMEM is working now. I did not find any problems when visiting the site.
    Dennis: should I change the 'safebrowsing' back? And if so when? Sorry to be a pest, but you guys are the experts. No assistance from around here in the country. Here, I am the expert, Ha, Ha! Just me, myself and I.
    Thanks again for the input and help..
    youve probably got the google tool bar ..and googles written itself into your expoloror in every way possible.

if so go to your add remove progs and remove the google tool bar

all the best.markj

Quote Originally Posted by kc5ezc

UPDATE HMEM is working now. I did not find any problems when visiting the site.
    Dennis: should I change the 'safebrowsing' back? And if so when? Sorry to be a pest, but you guys are the experts. No assistance from around here in the country. Here, I am the expert, Ha, Ha! Just me, myself and I.
    Thanks again for the input and help..
    I don't allow safe browsing because Google then monitors everything you do on the internet. That doesn't bother some people, but since computer security has been part of my job for some decades and this kind of spying is at the top of the list of things to prevent, I prevent it.

I couldn't care less if people knew what I browsed. I am simply not that interesting. Firefox has a little link in the lower right corner of the "DANGER!" dialog box that allows you to go to the site in question.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by saying this, but Firefox can also be a problem.

I have had to stop using it. It seems to be trying to do so much stuff in the background which has nothing to do with what I am trying to view (like downloading ads for example) that the computer began to overheat - frequently. I admit to having an older Mac which is no doubt part of the problem. I guess that Firefox was trying to get it to do things it couldn't handle and so begin searching endlessly. The solution was to switch browsers to "Camino" which seems to be made for the Mac. Presto, no more overheating. Can't tell if they are sharing stuff with Google or not.
    Vitória, Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by davidwdyer
    Can't tell if they are sharing stuff with Google or not.
    In the Firefox browser, entering About:Config will take you to the main configuration page for Firefox. You can type in a word to search for. Try Google to see all the entries in your firefox that ties it to Google. Turning off all of it is harmless and may improve your browser performance.

In the preferences menu you can also disable cookies (adding execeptions as needed) and javascript. Javascript is pretty much essential now, though, so it is much more intrusive. Better is to install one of the ad blocker tools and exclude the really annoying Javascript as it is discovered.

I couldn't care less if people knew what I browsed. I am simply not that interesting.
    Google DOES collect personally identifying information. How would you feel if they included your name in a data base that showed you did a lot of searching on the subject of hemochromatosis? And, then you received a letter from your life insurance and medical insurance providers cancelling your policies? They will do that if they suspect you have hemochromatosis.

For Google to do something like that is only a very small step from what they already do with information about you.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Google DOES collect personally identifying information. How would you feel if they included your name in a data base that showed you did a lot of searching on the subject of hemochromatosis? And, then you received a letter from your life insurance and medical insurance providers cancelling your policies? They will do that if they suspect you have hemochromatosis.
    Insurance companies can't do that now. We (USA) have Obama Care! They will make it so expensive that you will drop it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    Insurance companies can't do that now. We (USA) have Obama Care! They will make it so expensive that you will drop it yourself.
    Yep, rates going up, Grandma and Grandpa going down !

Ken and the other Ken are not trying to start anything here, just having some fun time

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate the help. Who know that you could enter stuff in the address bar of firefox and fix a problem.
    I do not use the google toolbar or yahoo or any other than the one that comes with native firefax. Hope I said that right.
    Good info in this thread for us computer dummies.
    Thanks again for all the help everyone.
    John Burchett
    in Byng OK

A timely item for Mac Safari users who worry about Google sniffing their every browse.

"Orbicule has released a free extension for Safari 5 that blocks
    several methods of tracking your behavior across multiple Web sites.
    The Incognito extension can prevent Google's AdSense and Analytics
    JavaScript from phoning back to the mothership. This incidentally
    blocks Google ads from appearing, but that's not the primary intent.
    The extension can also suppress all calls back to Google, and
    prevent Facebook and YouTube from working on sites other than their
    own."

Full story here http://db.tidbits.com/issue/1049