Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knurling tools and holders

rustamd Guest

Default HomeMade Knurler

I have had a few Knurlers . Finally milled out a scissor type from 4340 sdteel. Almost done but then a dozen other projects were getting finished also. I wanted to knurl stainless steel. I think for tough materials a cnc type knurler used in a manual lathe is actually the way to go. The knurls held at a 30 degree angle forcefully cut into the material nicely. What do you guys think? Mike

Ok - some more pictures of the knurler. The reference that Rustamd gave is correct.

The tool is quite easy to make. In fact I cut out the arms and the other plates with just hacksaw and files. I didn't have a milling machine at the time. A bit of exercise is good for you

Apart from the eccentric adjustment (which is very useful) the big plus point for this design is that it is strong. Most of the commercial scissor units are really wimpy with arms that are undersized. Knurling involves significant forces and a tool that just bends and twists is useles.
    Bill

Default Knurling Tool

Thanks willmac - much appreciated. Great job too, it's a nice piece of work!
    Thanks to rustamd too, for the link. It is very informative. I may have to build one of those.

I have one the same as this and also one designed especially for my lathes toolholders both work beautifully but I don't think their cut knurls.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

No it is not a cut knurler. But I don't think this is essential for the OP's application.
    Bill

Just so that the O/P has all the facts between a cut and a scissor type knurler, depends how close to a shoulder you need to go with the knurl.

The scissor type is streets ahead of the crush type, but similarily the cutting type seems to generate even less stress on the bearings of the lathe.

No axe to grind on either type, but as a Mech. designer, my preference would be the cut type.

Regards Ian
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.