Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make 3/4" double hex?

rustamd Guest

Default How to make 3/4" double hex?

I need to make 3/4" male double hex, anyone knows how I could make these on mostly manual machines? Got mill & lathe

Russ

Happy to help you. Ermm, what's a double hex?

Is that a 12 sided polygon?

....deleted....thought he meant double helix ala two start thread

Default Double Hex

Obtain a rotary broach and get busy.

JRW

Piss of two witches?

Default 12-point?

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd
    I need to make 3/4" male double hex, anyone knows how I could make these on mostly manual machines? Got mill & lathe

Russ
    Russ.

Do you mean a "12-point" male head that fits into a standard 12-point (female?) socket?

Get a 12 point 3/4" socket push a gob of clay into it pull the clay out and look at the end of it it will give an idea of what you want, when you go to mill the blank you'll have to keep the corner of the end mill above the center, mill 12 flats try to keep your cuts small , move over to the other side and cut 12 more flats keep measuring and cutting til you get to the final size. your blank should be what you want for a final size. Just my $11.27 worth

Use a collet and a hex collet holder.

Quote Originally Posted by baldysm
    Happy to help you. Ermm, what's a double hex?

Is that a 12 sided polygon?
    Worse. If he is asking for what I think he is. It is what you get when you superimpose two 6 sided polygons after rotating one 30 degrees. Stuff some clay in a 12 point socket, remove it and that is what you are trying to make. It has sharp inside corners that can be a pain to make. But can be milled if you don't have a flat shoulder requirement.

Mount part in Rotary table, dividing head, or spin indexer, that can divide a revolution into 12 parts with the axis horizontal parallel to X on the mill. Calculate the offset, then take 12 swipes with an endmill (mill spindle vertical) rotating the part each time. Then offset the Y axis an equal distance on the other side of the part axis and take 12 more swipes, indexing each time. If you prefer, you can index only 12 times and move the table around more. If need be, take roughing and finishing passes.

I'll take a guess, use a mill with a dividing head and tailstock and four flute end mill. Do the math and start cutting.
    It's only ink and paper