Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck 3 jaw chuck

Default Stuck 3 jaw chuck

I am a green beginner. Here is my problem: My Grizzly lathe has a chuck I cannot get off. I have removed the clamps holding it to the spindle. It seems the threads are stuck. I have tried WD=40, etc.

Could temperature be the problem? It is in a unheated but insulated workshop and the temp probably gets down to the 40's. I am thinking about using a hair drier to warm the chuck on the theory that it will then expand and release itself from the threads on the spindle.

Thanks

Chuck up a piece of round stock about 2-3 in and get on it with a long pipe wrench. Set the lathe for the lowest RPM to provide resistance when you pull that wrench. There are other ways but this quick and simple.

If you don't have a large pipe wrench use a large piece of hex stock and appropriate wrench..

After you get that chuck off do some cleaning on the threads. A few drops of break free on the threads will prevent this.

Moe,

One could interpret your post to say that the OP should start his lathe in slow speed with a pipe wrench attached to the chuck!!

If his is a belt drive lathe, I doubt selecting a slow speed would provide much resistance. I have had luck loosening a stuck chuck by engaging the back gears without disengaging the bull gear.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by flathead4
    Moe,

One could interpret your post to say that the OP should start his lathe in slow speed with a pipe wrench attached to the chuck!!

If his is a belt drive lathe, I doubt selecting a slow speed would provide much resistance. I have had luck loosening a stuck chuck by engaging the back gears without disengaging the bull gear.

Tom

If they wanted a Darwin award..I guess I should have put in a disclaimer for the challenged.

Moe and Tom,
    Although I have tried out for the Darwin Award on other projects---I will not do it this time.

Thanks for the advice. I have a belt drive but probably can figure a way to get some resistance.

Jim

I don't know about the Grizzly lathe, however I use the method that Flathead4 described.....with a minor exception: I put a 14 inch pipewrench on one of the jaws (with the backgear and bull gear engaged) and strike the pipewrech with a mallet. Since the chuck jaws are hardened, I have had no damage to the chuck using this method.

Perhaps I could qualify for the Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L

Perhaps I could qualify for the Darwin.
    Being able to pose that question here is in itself disqualification. Sorry.
    Last edited by PixMan; 12-08-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Oh yeah......I forgot. I have to kill myself in an idiotic way. Heh heh.

Take a small chunk of 2x4 of a size to fit between a jaw of the chuck and the rear way, such that it will prevent the chuck from turning. Put the lathe in the absolute lowest reverse gear. Allow a couple of inches between the chuck jaw and the piece of wood that will keep it from turning. Bump the starter switch for 1 second, so that the chuck starts to turn but hits the wood and is prevented from turning further. Since it can no longer turn with the spindle, it will begin to unscrew.

Since you only had the motor on for a moment at at a low speed it will not continue to unscrew, coming off the spindle, clobbering the ways and then landing on your foot. You can now unscrew it the rest of the way by hand, with appropriate protection (a board) on the ways.

Dhamma,
    Are you sure you have a threaded spindle? Many of the Grizzly lathes come with a cam lock spindle, which is entirely different thing.
    You can look up your manual or Grizzly website and find for sure what you have.
    Mike