Thread: Things you never notice

Smile Things you never notice

Ever do things for years and never notice simple little things that when discovered make life easier?I did just that today,I was putting up my B&S thread gage and once again looked at the ingraving on it,but this time I took the time to read it,low and behold it had all the thread depths for the common pitches right on the gage!In fourteen years of single pointing I never took time to notice that.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

BillH Guest

I know what you mean, happened to me plenty of times, I just can't remember exactly what though...

WS
    My University professor (linear algebra) once told me RTFI (read the f*^&ing instructions) and KISS (keep it simple, stupid) - a wise man indeed! when my caculus professor ratted on me to him that I had used linear algebra to solve caculus problems. I caught hell first, then we laughed, and laughed and did lunch.

I too have learned many interesting things about new tools by actually reading the instructions - like, you are not supposed to insert your fingers in a live outlet (I did not know that!) apparently. And when using nail gun point AWAY from body while pulling trigger - I have found it hurts a lot less that way, for some reason...

I had a "braincramp" that lasted about 3 months..My CNC lathe was not putting out a big volume of coolant..So naturally I thought it might be the pump or maybe all of the sludge inside of the tank..So I spent some time cleaning out the tank, and checking out the pump..But it still didn't work right...I finally decided to just go out and buy a new coolant pump..what a costly expense..But before I ordered a pump, I decided to look over the machine again..Ah hah!! I found a little allen head screw that adjusts the volume of coolant..Now I can fine adjust the volume of coolant..I almost made a mistake in buying something that I didn't need..

sometimes we overlook the "basics", and we tend to overanalyze things...which means that sometimes I think that I am smarter than I really am...

I hope to be just 1/2 as smart as Thrud someday.....dreams...

brent

I keep looking where the floor was.............................................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Previuosly I had used the fishtail for setup only,small and convienent fits in tight spaces,always used either Machinery's or thread book for the depths,and all this time right there on the gage,saves lots of time not walking,looking through indexes etc.

Funny thing is boss mans Starrett doesn't have this feature,good thing I bought B&S

jfsmith Guest

I think what Thrud said is true read the instructions, first not after destroying something.

Jerry

Jerry,

No fun that way!

Like reading the balance in the back of check book before you write the check for a new lathe. : )

Busted dreams,
    busted knuckles,
    busted pride,
    such choices!

uute

What instructions?Mine were verbal.learned to single point from an old guy(80 years old 81 years as a machinist)he didn't tell me and the ones on his were worn off.