Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good used lathe

Post Good used lathe

Hi there
    I'm new to this group and I'm looking for a good used 12"/14" lathe in western Canada.Does anyone know of any sources ? Is there any close to you Thrud ?
    Thanks

Don't let the prices of used machines in the States get your hopes up, machines in western Canada are 3 or4 times as expensive, unless you ripoff a widow.

If you really want sticker shock, try some dealers like Modern Tool.

Used machine tools in Western Canada are scarcer than hen's teeth. I've never seen one advertised except once and that was a full shop of equipment not to be sold seperately. I recently checked all the auction houses in BC and not one has any coming up.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

BillH Guest

Your in Western Canada? Take a trip south, Like Seattle, or another industrial city. Sure to find many used machines.

Try www.bfgmt.com they might have something, or Skinner 1-800-661-9429, or Akhurst Machinery 780-435-3936, or Modern Tool 780-465-9471, check newspapers for auctions and sales Wednsdaus, fridays, saturdays (classifieds) also check the internet for auctions in the western provinces, Goverment of Canada sales and Provincial SUpply & Services Sales (third wed. of each month in Alberta)

Depends on your budget.... there's some stuff out there. Also depends where you are (if you want to look at something). I just found a 14X40 offshore (House of Tools) lathe with maybe 25 hrs on it. It's been in storage for awhile. Guy wants $4000Cnd. Replacement cost on new (new has 3hp...this one 2hp) is $6000Cnd. This is in the Cranbrook, BC area. I'll be selling my 9" SB this spring. Will probably be going to the States to buy a bigger American made 14X40 if I can ever decide what I should buy. I really love my SB but the small spindle bore and need for speed are driving me nuts. I agree with quasi about the sticker shock at Modern Tool. An outfit here bought a BP clone from them and from what I can see they paid probably $1500 too much for it.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Cool

Winnipeg eh? There is a fellow on this BBS that lives right close to you who might be able to help. He has the nose of a Blood Hound when it comes to sniffing out used machinery. (does that make him a Lathe Dog?) I am sure that he will contact you if he knows of anything available. (He will probably contact you anyway, a hell-of-a nice guy)
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Might be possible to find trucks making the trip from WI-MI area. If you checked truck routes out - and then looked for machines, it might be easier than doing it the other way a-round. There seem to be a supply of good machines in the MI-IL-WI areas that might be of interest....

-- jerry
    dvideo

Jerry makes a good point! When I lived in NW Indiana, my friend came down from Kodiak Island to buy stereo equipment in Chicago. Quality, selection, price all better. His buddies all wanted stuff too and so paid for the trip, and they still came out ahead in the long run. Start at the bulletin board at local truckstop with a post, you could well get lucky.
    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

jfsmith Guest

Cool

I may be giving away a tip on American National Security, but I take equipment back and forth over the Canadian-U.S. border all of the time. I always take new stuff out the box make it look used, and don't pay GST and PST on them. The used equipment I claim has a part of my cottage industry, so again I don't get taxed.

Then there is the other method, cross the border where there are no check points, which is most of the Canadian/US border. Get a customs slip and after your in Canada, mail it to the customs folks with a salvage value of zero dollars. Then you will be fine.

Jerry