Thread: work holding question

Default work holding question

i have to make 10 parts that need 3 milled places on them the problem is they are 38 inches long and a foot wide. How is the best way to put them on my mill table to cut them one at a time of course. the material is 1/4 inch thick aluminum it has a cut out in the middle and a larger hole on one side and a small hole on the other side. i have a bridgeport clone with a 9x42 table. I was thinking 1.2.3 blocks under the center and ends and use the steps on the ends to hold it down is this correct? or better ideas?

thanks
    Jason

Jason, just keep in mind that it will vibrate and chatter if you have more than a few inches unclamped. If you are just drilling holes don't worry too much but if you are milling it needs a rigid set up. If you can push on it and see deflection you will have an issue with milling finish and possible tool breakage or launching the part.

somewhere in downstate chicago-tax-us-to-death

Or you could use a piece of al. wider and longer as scrap to mill into instead of the mill table. I had a job which required a slot through and for most of its' length. I bolted an al. scrap plate to the mill table to take the cutter and to support the work. I fit dowel pins to locate the work for repeat pieces. All came out fine.
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!