Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch manufacturer

Default Watch manufacturer

Hello Folks

I found this gem on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe343...7783C7&index=1

I don't know what one of those watches costs, but after seeing that video I'm pretty sure I can't afford one.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Thanks for that ..well worth "watching"

The workers there look like they are going to incur permanent disfigurements ..with those eye-glasses stuck in their eyes all shift.
    Are they kneeling or standing or sitting ..I cant tell.

I don't think I can afford one those either ..bet they are plus 10,000 watches .

somehow i don't think that sort of precision is ever going to happen in the UK

I'll keep them in mind when I win the lottery .

all the best.markj

A year or 2 ago there was a documentary on TV about a watch maker in a small town in Switzerland. He was a one man shop. He made wrist watches to order and all the parts were made by hand or on his lathe and small mill. Only the finest materials were used. He made 2 or 3 watches per year of the simplest type, manual wind, no complications, very little decoration. The one shown in the video was priced at $400,000. It did have an alligator band and a solid silver case.

RWO

I'll keep them in mind when I win the lottery

Mark I know you you ! You'll never buy one of those like me your far too sensible lottery or not still you could buy a new mill for that kind of poppy.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I couldn't afford the box it comes in. Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed.

Ray

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

I really enjoyed this. Fascinating to watch.Thanks for posting the link.
    Ted

The model shown in the computer simulation goes for just shy of $8000 US. <Sigh> Is it ironic that my $40 mass-produced digital watch keeps time within a few seconds a month and has more useful features? Gotta admire Glashutte's craftsmanship and dedication. But, except at ostentatious jewelry, who needs a watch like this?

somehow i don't think that sort of precision is ever going to happen in the UK
    It used to and still does Mark, never heard of Harrison or Thomas Tompion? ALL watches were made as one offs at some point with far less precision machinery than that shown in the videos.

When you've watched (bad pun) the film "Longitude", it makes one wonder why Harrison strived and had to fight (not settled until AFTER his death) for a mere 20,000 "Reward" for making an accurate navigational clock when many regard todays electronic timepieces as not worth replacing the battery chuck it in the bin technology.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.