Thread: New machine: RF-45 clone

Default New machine: RF-45 clone

I thought I would share my new addition to the workshop. I have recently added a RF-45 clone that I purchased from Machine Tools Warehouse. I consider myself more of a welder then a machinist but ever since I bought a 10 x 18 metal lathe I have been bit by the machining bug.

Still in the process of setting up tooling for the clone. Just finished up a X and Y table rebuild on it. Anyway...if you'd like to take a look you can find it here.

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/

or here;

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/cat...lling-machine/

Thanks!
    Gord

I like the stand! Bonus points because at first glance it looks like it is sitting on a rolling tool chest

-Pete
    I just like to make stuff.

Having just setup my DM45 mill I am watching this with interest, like the stand, very deceiving!

Looks like we both used the same engine crane.

Have pretty much same machine but with powered head and named ZAY7045 as well. Had it in 2004 and earnt its keep.

I got mine on a cast iron base from similar machine with round column, dont ask it was free. Bolt holes didnt line up bt easy job.

What i have found is the lead screws and nuts continually wear on all chinese made items, certainly these mills. Did strip the X axis nut on other RF25 within 12 months but it had a hard life for its size.
    RF45 elevation presently got 5 1/2 revs of handle backlash and surprised it still winds up and down.

After a few months use when it got rather heavy i decided on a strip down and molecular treated the slides, the stuff you warm up above 90 degrees. Lasted a couple of years and undoubtedly prolonged its life.

What these need is a proper ball screw used for cnc work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    What i have found is the lead screws and nuts continually wear on all chinese made items, certainly these mills. Did strip the X axis nut on other RF25 within 12 months but it had a hard life for its size.
    RF45 elevation presently got 5 1/2 revs of handle backlash and surprised it still winds up and down.

After a few months use when it got rather heavy i decided on a strip down and molecular treated the slides, the stuff you warm up above 90 degrees. Lasted a couple of years and undoubtedly prolonged its life.

What these need is a proper ball screw used for cnc work.
    I agree Jonny, I know what I bought and it wasn't high quality. I am not expecting much from the lead screws and lead screw nuts, I'll see how long they last.

I rebuilt the bottom end for 2 reasons. 1, The table feed and cross feed were unusable out of the crate, terrible assembly job. 2, I eventually want to CNC it (years down the road) and this way I know what I am dealing with and I know what needs to be done.

The machine was bought to help me build a CNC plasma table. I'll see how well it performs and then modify as needed.

Gord

Again, nice job on the stand. All the convenience of a tool chest and all the rigidity of a good frame.

Well done......

Nice job......pity they don't take enough time and care to finish and assemble the machine properly.....brand new and unusable are 2 things that shouldn't go together, I mean this isn't chump change......Your inspection and alterations should go a long way to accuracy, enjoying and extending the usefullness of the mill.
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I may ask some opinions of all you experienced guys concerning some tooling down the road.

Gord

Gord,

Thanks for sharing, nice site as well.

-SD: