Thread: OT - A Pen That Types?

Default OT - A Pen That Types?

This isn't totally off-topic. I can see were this would come in handy in the shop for saving project notes or tracking time. I ask here since there's a lot of computer savvy folks that like gadgets.

"IRIS Notes". Does anyone have one of these? It's a pen and receiver that can store your handwriting then transfer it to text in other software. It uses standard ink refills but captures handwriting. I'm guessing that it uses some sort of micro accelerometer or something. Or maybe the movement of the cartridge. Anyone know? They say it can even capture handwriting on the fly or can be used as a mouse at your desk.

Here's the link to the IRIS description. (No connection, just curious.)
    http://www.irislink.com/c2-1843-189/...ou-write-.aspx

If you have one, does it work and do you like it? Will it record strikethroughs?

Thanks, Ken

Ken,
    I have a live scribe which is similar.
    http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/
    It is different that it requires special paper that you either buy or print yourself. It works good. I don't use it often. I have some associates that swear by them. The live scribe also recorder audio that you can playback. Great for taking notes in a meeting or lecture
    Dave

Let me know if you find one that can spell. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Wow! I guess I'm behind the times. I found some YouTube demos of this and several other styles of digital pens. I'm impressed! Some seem like you're holding a large stick but others seem to be no larger than an expensive ball point pen. The darn things know where they are on a page so strikethroughs and drawings are picked up no matter what order they're applied to a page. How many times have you scribbled a design on paper then had to scan or photo it to send to someone or make a copy of it?

Spell? Well, I guess it can if you send it through the OCR software into a word processor.

I saw a similar item recently that records audio at the same time.
    Very handy for taking notes at Lectures and Meetings, you can go back later and select a note and hear what was being said at that particular time.

Tom M.

Yeah Tom, I saw a demo on one of those too. That's one of the "big stick" pens. The IRIS and IOGEAR pens are small. Very similar. Might be made by the same company. I think I may order the IRIS and give it a try. I see this useful for tracing parts of a drawing too.

Hmmmmm. Can any CAD programs import "drawings" and convert them?