Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.D. your,e special projects?

Thumbs up I.D. your,e special projects?

Wondering,, seeing all the fine workmanship pics posted here, how many of you stamp or mark your,e name and the date in your,e special one off tool, or something youv,e built ?

Many don,t bother to do this, but i think this is very important years from now when someone comes across or inherits your,e special project, to treasure the item knowing who built it and when.

How many have discovered an old special tool etc with the makers name or date on it?

Just wondering, Why don't you use an apostrophe (') instead of a comma?
    ex: youv,e should be you've

Not that I'm the spelling police.

Sid

Exactly twice. Just a week or two ago I put my last name on the power supply I built. A few years ago I found a tree saw blade that was actually half decent, so I built a custom handle for it from 6061. Punched out my name on a dymo labeller and milled a recess in the handle to stick the strip into. I rounded the corners of the strip to match the recess- looks cool.

I'm not sure that I ever take a lot of pride in something I've built- some to be sure, but it's not like I feel the need to say 'hey, I built this'. But I have started to think about what a future owner of something of mine would or could do if the need arose to do a repair. Maybe I could give much of it to my worst enemies

Seldom does something I've built ever need fixing, but when I look at the innards after having built it, I think 'man, what a nightmare if I ever do have to fix this'. Don't know if I'd really want my name on things like that-

Hi,

There are a few pieces of machinery in the 3M Abrasives division that may have East Overshoe Machine and Tool stamped into them somewhere. But that was long ago and far away.

About all I have is a stepped angle plate I made for myself. I pantographed my name in to it.

dalee

Now that you mention it that is a good idea...

Some of my most prized possessions are my grandfather's measuring tools, not because theyre old but bc they are all "signed" with a scriber.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Only one I ever did was spray paint in a flat black "GG" on a BBQ I once built for a friend. I have often thought about marking the projects I just never came up with a good way to do it.

Gord

Really nice barbeque rotisserie setup! Makes me want to go out on the deck and throw a chicken on the spinner! Oh, wait, it's minus 40.

Most of my prototypes that I made while at Brownells have my name on them, since they were done on my own time. They also live at my shop... There are a very few folks I might loan out a special tool to, and I make sure that my name is on it when it leaves home, makes it easier to ensure it comes back.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

I started to do it to some tools I made after seeing that some of the shop made tools that I have collected over the years also have it. Some were gifts from pro machnist friends who are retiring, others I have no idea who they are.

Laser etched on the back of my cnc lathe.

IMGP2341 by macona, on Flickr