Thread: Heidenhain capable controller software?

Default Heidenhain capable controller software?

Does anyone know if there is CNC software like Mach3, EMC2 or similar that would understand Heidenhain language? All the software tends to understand only G-code and I'm not too fond of it when I need a part quickly just by manual input of code.

No, as far as I know none do.

Might be able to write a translator for EMC though.

It is quite wierd that there is none, as it is a very easy language to learn and remember and very flexible. What I like especially is Q parameter programming, FK programming and all the fancy cycles it has Hasn't let me down once and has saved me from firing up MasterCAM very often.

I think it could be possible to write a simple code converter, but getting those nice FK programming and other features is not going to be easy.

Probably not one because Heidenhain is a proprietary controller and they only need write for themselves.

There may even be copywrite issues if someone makes a controller that read Heidenhain code, a bit like the Hurco / Hass conversational programming fiasco that cost Gene Haas a year in gaol.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Oh well, have to do some sort of Heidenhain to G-code interpreter myself then At least one can download a full working Heidenhain demo control software for Windows from their site, lets you play with the programming and simulation but is limited to 100 lines of code, though it can be circumvented by using program calls

The only downfall is that my G-code knowhow is very limited, have only programmed one lathe that had Fanuc 0-T as control and it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    <SNIP> a bit like the Hurco / Hass conversational programming fiasco that cost Gene Haas a year in gaol.
    As you probably know, it wasn't the patent lawsuit that sent him to the pokey, it was the tax evasion he did in an effort to get even with Uncle Sam for what he thought was (and may well have been) a bull$#@! decision.

Yes I did know that and should have made it clearer.
    All the other controller makers folded over the lawsuit and paid up, only Gene Haas tried to take them on and lost on what was a very ambiguous patent .

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.