Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lathe CAM software

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    323

    Default Lathe CAM software

    For my cnc mill I use Vcarve pro CAM software.


    I am looking for a similar product that is good for the cnc lathe.

    I have never learnt g code and don't intend learning it and have never needed it using the Vcarve /Mach3 combination.

    So, is there a lathe software that you can recomend that import dxf's and produce the file for mach3?

    Other criteria

    tool inventory
    threading(screwcutting)
    tapping and dies
    drilling/peck drilling
    gang tooling setup
    import dxf
    drawing tools
    export dxf
    extras like bar feed control
    other useful stuff that I havn't discovered yet
    Home shop budget.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Davidhcnc; 02-07-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    15,084

    Default

    David, bit of a rare beast lathe Cam and low cost in the same sentence

    The wizards in Mach turn get you going with most of the simple operations, turn face, taper radius and screwcut.

    It's only on contouring it falls down as it doesn't cover it.

    Art released a stand alone product called Lazyturn, downloadable from their website at machsupport.com but I have never used it.

    Next up the feature / price ladder is Dolphin, they do a hobby package so it's not to bad.

    http://www.dolphin-online.net/
    .

    Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Thanks J.

    I've added to the list too.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    6,959

    Default

    I too put the pieces together from the wizards in mach. Works pretty well and lathe stuff is actually pretty easy to program as there is only two dimensions.

    You have a machine that you can power tap on? Mach does not support it. Threading yes.

    Why would you want to export a dxf from a cam?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anderson SC
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macona
    I too put the pieces together from the wizards in mach. Works pretty well and lathe stuff is actually pretty easy to program as there is only two dimensions.

    You have a machine that you can power tap on? Mach does not support it. Threading yes.

    Why would you want to export a dxf from a cam?
    Mach does not support rigid tapping, semi rigid works nicely, I do it on my mill with a hardinge TT tapping head. No reason it shouldn't work just as well on a lathe.

    Lazyturn is the CAM I see recommended for lathe hobbiests on a budget most often.
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-08-2011 at 06:28 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I have never used LazyTurn but it reportedly works very well but unfortunately at this point it is just for external turning. Whether that will change in the future depends on Art getting time but as its free the no one can complain

    I bought Dolphin Turn just before Christmas during a promotion they had, Turn module and dongle for 250, and I am liking it now that I have the post processor modified to suit my lathe. The standard post processor will likely be ok for most lathe users but my lathe has both front and rear turrets so I had to modify the post processor quite a bit.

    The CAD side of Dolphin works OK but is a bit clunky so I just use it to import DXF's to assign the profile and it works well for that and is quick. Maybe with more time spent learning the CAD side things would become easier and quicker and I may mess with it more in the future when time permits.

    Hood

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macona
    I too put the pieces together from the wizards in mach. Works pretty well and lathe stuff is actually pretty easy to program as there is only two dimensions.Yes, I've seen the videos, it does indeed work well.

    You have a machine that you can power tap on?No, Mac, I don't have the lathe converted yet...but that is a feature I am after. Mach does not support it. Threading yes.

    Why would you want to export a dxf from a cam?To get drawings that have been created or edited back out. It is a feature that I regularly use in V Carve and see dxf export as very important. In fact, all my 2d CAD is done in V Carve so if I am getting stuff laser cut that is where the dxf comes from.
    Thanks....make some more videos
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY
    Mach does not support rigid tapping, semi rigid works nicely, I do it on my mill with a hardinge TT tapping head. No reason it shouldn't work just as well on a lathe.

    Lazyturn is the CAM I see recommended for lathe hobbiests on a budget most often.

    'hardinge TT tapping head' Isn't that an auto reverse tapping head or maybe a telescopic tap holder?

    I'd rather buy software than hardware.....if you see the way I am thinking.
    Last edited by Davidhcnc; 02-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hood
    I have never used LazyTurn but it reportedly works very well but unfortunately at this point it is just for external turning. Whether that will change in the future depends on Art getting time but as its free the no one can complain

    I bought Dolphin Turn just before Christmas during a promotion they had, Turn module and dongle for 250, and I am liking it now that I have the post processor modified to suit my lathe. The standard post processor will likely be ok for most lathe users but my lathe has both front and rear turrets so I had to modify the post processor quite a bit.

    The CAD side of Dolphin works OK but is a bit clunky so I just use it to import DXF's to assign the profile and it works well for that and is quick. Maybe with more time spent learning the CAD side things would become easier and quicker and I may mess with it more in the future when time permits.

    Hood
    I could live with that number. Furthur investagation required
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anderson SC
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidhcnc
    'hardinge TT tapping head' Isn't that an auto reverse tapping head or maybe a telescopic tap holder?

    I'd rather buy software than hardware.....if you see the way I am thinking.
    No, it does not autoreverse. It telescopes out .100 then the drive dogs inside disengage, when reversed a spring loaded finger engages to reverse it out. They are on ebay frequently if you want to see what one looks like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •