Thread: Question about import 13x40 lathe

Default Question about import 13x40 lathe

I may have the opportunity to purchase a Dar Sin (taiwan)1340 lathe for a very good price. It appears to be in decent shape. This will be to replace my old 1940 clausing/atlas 4800 that has seen better days.

One question, and I've noticed this before on other lathes...

If I grab the carriage, I can lift it off of the ways about 1/8 of an inch. Is this normal? Are the carriages supposed to be held down with mainly....gravity? The ways appear to be in great condition...no visable wear or major differences in finish between the tailstock end and headstock end.

Are these decent lathes? This is just for home shop use. My Clausing works OK, but the bed is worn out...like the carriage is sloppy up by the headstock and almost too tight to move near the tailstock end....plus, it's a bit of a lightweight and the gears are all missing a few teeth...it's just worn out.

Perhaps the plate the holds the carriage down is loose or fallen off.
    It's only ink and paper

Perhaps that is the case...I've seen other lathes exhibit these same issues though...I looked at an old South Bend one time...the only thing holding the carriage on was the leadscrew gear assembly. I was just wondering if this is the way they are supposed to be or if it should be tight?

Might check to see if the gib is missing or broken....

I think it's just the way it's designed...all the parts are there...maybe in need of modification.

I made some cuts on it and it works fine....so I got it. The price was right....FREE! ::gloat::

I'll pick it up with a trailer on Monday....gotta order another VFD and do some wiring this weekend.

My lathe has plates at the front that 'hold it' to the carriage.. But they are not designed to be precise or load bearing, So technicaly, its held down by gravity.. When you turn (forward anyway) the carriage is pushed into the ways anyway. On the back, it appears to have two plates that are a little more precise, But they do not have any adjustment so I believe they are not really designed to hold it down in operation, just in accidents.

I have done threading with the tool upside down and lathe in reverse, and never had any problems with the carriage lifting. Thats a semi light operation..

Upside down cutoff is popular however, And that would likey lift the carriage if I pushed it, unless I build one of those 'back of the cross slide' cutoff holders.

I'll also note my carriage is like 200lbs with the gearbox, Im amazed you managed to lift a 13x40 carriage!

Also note the 'cut ins' below the ways that the carriage would need to secure to, do not seem precise enough to use as ways.