Thread: Mounting igaging scales on a mini mill

Default Mounting igaging scales on a mini mill

I am getting around to mounting igaging scales on my mini mill. I am wondering if I should just make a tab from the reader head to the mill or come up with something fancier to tolerate miss alignment. I would like to see how others have mounted digital caliper scales or igaging scales.

Okay,here you go,some shots of my X2.

The Igaging scale was a pain trying to miss everything that was in the way.The scale is mounted rigid to the table,since they are built basically like calipers,the reader bracket is just a bent piece of sheet metal with a 1/4" slot milled in.The only connection to the mill saddle is by means of a 1/4" shoulder bolt that is tapped into the saddle and slides in the slot.The slot allows the reader to "float" in and out in two axis,but still maintain accuracy.

This is the vertical scale for the Z axis,just the run of the mill Chinese scale mounted on the same principal as the other.Even though the slot looks like it's to short,the end of it passes the center line of the bolt shoulder by a good 1/8"

--------------------------------------

Now for then bad news,the Igaging scale I got has an error and it's not a consistent one.I only found it after I had went to the trouble of mounting it.

If I were you I would check that scale against a DTI before going through the trouble of installing it.

The one I have is several thousands over/under in each inch of travel.It's good enough for wood work,but not good enough for a mill.I think I'm gonna mount it to my portable wood planer.

By over/under I mean cranking out 1.000" on the DTI the scale reads 1.002,crank it out to 2.000 and it may read 1.998.

The common Chinese scale is dead on.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 03-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience

--------------------------------------

Now for then bad news,the Igaging scale I got has an error and it's not a consistent one.I only found it after I had went to the trouble of mounting it.

If I were you I would check that scale against a DTI before going through the trouble of installing it.

The common Chinese scale is dead on.
    Wish I knew about the error potential. Mine are mounted. I would contact igaging they guarantee .001 over 6".

I like your slotted tab and shoulder bolt, I am going to copy that.
    I mounted my scale on the back of the mill table, less stuff to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmyers
    Wish I knew about the error potential. Mine are mounted. I would contact igaging they guarantee .001 over 6".

I like your slotted tab and shoulder bolt, I am going to copy that.
    I mounted my scale on the back of the mill table, less stuff to avoid.
    I forget now why I mounted mine infront,seems like it got in the way of something in back.

Ya,I was gonna gripe at Igaging,but for what it cost I'll just move it to the planer and forget about it.

Prolly gonna add another regular scale and just buy one of the three axis remote diplays for them.
    I just need one more tool,just one!